As we start 2009 let us see where all our old friends are and how they got there.
1. Cesar Izturis - starting SS, signed as Free Agent. Was traded for Greg Maddux July 31st, 2006. Great deal for everyone. Originally became a Dodger when we traded highly touted pitching prospect Luke Prokopec and Chad Ricketts on Dec 13th, 2001.
2.Mark Hendrickson - made the rotation, signed as Free Agent. Left the Dodgers as a Free Agent after being acquired from Tampa Bay along with Toby Hall for Navarro, Seo, and Ruggiano during July of 2006.
3. Danys Baez - tried to make the rotation but has been relagated to the bullpen. Signed as Free Agent Nov 17, 2006 but had arm surgery a few weeks into the 2007 season. Missed all of 2008. He left the Dodgers when we traded him and WIly Abyar to the Braves for Wilson Betemit. He was acquired by the Dodgers on Jan 14, 2006 when we traded Edwin Jackson and Chuck Tiffany for him and Lance Carter.
Boston Red Sox:
1. Julio Lugo - backup SS to Jed Lowrie. May or may not win the job back. Signed as Free Agent Dec/2006. We acquired him in July of 2006 for Joel Guzman(Jtd) and Sergio Pedroza(brother of Dodger prospect Jamie).
2. JD Drew - Starting RF, Signed as Free Agent the winter of 2006 after opting out his Dodger contract. Signed with the Dodgers as Free Agent in December 2004.
3. Brad Penny - won the 5th spot in the rotation. Signed as a Free Agent after the Dodgers decline his option. Acquired by the Dodgers July 30th, 2004 along with Hee Sop Choi and Bill Murphy for Paul La Duca, G Mota, and Juan Encarnacion.
4. Smiling Sammy Saito - signed as free agent by Boston. Signed by the Dodgers in the spring of 2006.
Chicago White Sox
Boom Boom Betemit - backup utility infielder, traded by the Yankees for Nick Swisher. The Dodgers acquired him in the Baez/Aybar deal. We then traded him to the Yankee's for Scott Proctor.
Edwin Jackson - firmly entrenched in the Tiger rotation. They acquired him from the Rays for Matt Joyce. We picked him with the 6th pick in the 2001 draft and traded him for Danys Baez in 2006.
Joakim Soria - closer, signed as FA Dec 20th, 2005. Dodgers signed him as a FA on Oct 31st, 2001 but released him on Oct 12th, 2004. Not one of Depo's better moves but he only pitched one year for us in the rookie league. Who knew?
Nomar Garciaparra - signed as FA, batting fourth and playing 1st base for Billy Beane sor far. Not bad for a guy who was declared dead by most DT posters and the guy who use to run this site in 2007. Dodgers signed him as a Free Agent in 2006 and
released his contract was completed in 2008.
1. Adrian Beltre - starting 3rd baseman, signed as Free Agent the fall of 2004. Dodgers signed him July 7th, 1994.
Tampa Bay Rays
1. Dionar Navarro - starting Catcher, all-star in 2008, traded in the Hendrickson trade, acquired by the Dodgers along with three other minor leaguers for Shawn Green. One of the best Depo trades followed by one of the worse by Ned.
2. Willy Aybar - utility infielder, acquired from Braves for flotsam. Dodgers signed him as a international free agent Jan 31st, 2000 and then sent him along with Baez to the Braves for Boom Boom Betemit.
Andruw Jones - made the team as the 4th/5th outfielder is supposed to bat cleanup against LHP. Signed as free agent after the Dodgers waived him. Dodgers signed him as a Free Agent for the 2008/2009 seasons. A story will be coming up shortly explaining why Andruw Jones failing as a Dodger allowed the Dodgers to play in October.
Toronto Blue Jays
Jason Frasor - relief pitcher, acquired by the Blue Jays from the Dodgers for Jason Werth. Maybe the best trade Depo pulled off. Frasor was acquired by the Dodgers from the Tigers for Hiram Boccachica.
For the NL
1. David Ross - backup catcher
2. Derek Lowe - ace of the staff, acquired as Free Agent this season, Dodgers signed him as a Free Agent from 2005-2008. Maybe the best value for a FA contract of that length this century for a pitcher.
1. Milton Bradley - starting right fielder, signed as Free Agent this season. Dodgers acquired him for Franklin Gutierrez and Andrew Brown from the Indians in spring 2004. We traded him and Antonio Perez in Ned's first trade to the A's for Andre Ethier.
2. Ted Lilly - firmly entrenched in the rotation. Signed as a free agent Dec 15th, 2006. Dodgers drafted him in the 23rd round, 1996. We traded him to the Expos July 31, 1998 with Jonathan Tucker (minors), Peter Bergeron and Wilton Guerrero for Hiram Bocachica, Mark Grudzielanek and Carlos Perez.
Wesley Wright - bullpen, acquired via rule 5 from the Dodgers in 2007. Dodgers drafted him in the 7th round, 2003.
Fernando Tatis - plattoon outfielder, not really an old friend but we did these transcations. February 9, 2007: Signed as a Free Agent with the Los Angeles Dodgers. March 14, 2007: Released by the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Jason Werth - starting right fielder, signed as Free Agent in 2007. Dodgers acquired him for Jason Frasor, was released after several years battling wrist injuries.
Shane Victorino - starting center fielder, rule 5 pick, to complicated to for this space.
Andy LaRoche - starting 3rd baseman, traded along with Bryan Morris for Manny Ramirez. Drafted in the 39th round of the 2003 draft.
Duaner Sanchez - signed as a free agent after being released by the Mets this summer. January 4, 2006: Traded by the Dodgers with Steve Schmoll to the New York Mets for Tim Hamulack and Jae Weong Seo. Dodgers acquired as a free agent in 2003.
Joel Hanrahan - closer, signed as Free Agent when the Dodgers released him off the 40 man roster Oct 15th 2006. Drafted in the 2nd round of the 2000 draft. After being on of the top prospects he lost his control and velocity for a few years. He was getting it back the end of 2006 but the Dodgers failed to notice and left him off the roster. The Nat's did notice and scooped him up.