Russ Ortiz was designated for assignment before today's game.
Before today's game, the Dodgers have designated Russ Ortiz for assignment, removing him from the 40-man roster. The Dodgers now have 10 days to trade or release him, although it seems likely that Ortiz will retire. Jon Link was recalled from Albuquerque to take his spot on the active roster, will wear number 50, and is available for today's game.
Here are some notes from Joe Torre's media session today:
- Manny Ramirez's right calf feels better, but he is being held out of the lineup to get it fully healed before the road trip that begins Tuesday in Cincinnati. Manny is available to pinch hit today if needed
- Hong-Chih Kuo will throw one inning today in San Bernardino for Class A Inland Empire in what will likely be his final rehabilitation appearance. If Kuo feels good tomorrow, he will likely be activated from the disabled list. At the very least, Kuo will be on the team flight to Cincinnati tomorrow afternoon and will be activated at some point during the road trip. The plan for Kuo, at least in the early going, is to limit him to one-inning outings and not pitch on back-to-back days. "At this point, there are only so many throws in that arm, with everything he has had to go through," Torre said.
- Ronald Belisario is scheduled to pitch two more outings in extended spring training and will likely be activated shortly after that.
- Ronnie Belliard is playing first base today, because James Loney is one for 20 against Giants' starter Barry Zito.
- The right-handed batting Jamey Carroll is starting at second base against the southpaw Zito
- With the off day tomorrow, the rotation might be shuffled such that Clayton Kershaw will start Friday in Washington, on regular rest, pushing Charlie Haeger to Saturday, but that will depend on how Kershaw throws today.
- Torre on Vin Scully: "The thing about Vinny is the way he's done his job over the years. You appreciate it as a manager when a player goes out there, and is there for you all the time at a high level, and that's Vin Scully to me."