The Dodgers and Braves kick off a 4 game set today at 7 p.m at Dodger Stadium. As pointed out in the series preview, the former division rivals have had a remarkably similar season so far, and both are the hottest teams in the National League. The Braves have won their last 8 games coming into tonight where Hiroki Kuroda squares off against Kris Medlen. Medlen, who as Vin would say is a local boy as he attended Gahr High School in Cerritos, started out the year in the bullpen but has been pushed into the rotation as of late. In his 4 starts as a starter, his ERA has been solid enough at 3.22 and is 1-0, but his peripherals have suffered a bit. His FIP is 4.42, his K/BB ratio dropped to 2.50 from 5.67 and his OPS against is .917 compared to .566. He's averaging just under 6 innings per start out of the bullpen.
Hiroki Kuroda on the other hand is coming off his worst start of the year. Last week in Colorado, Kuroda surrendered 7 runs (5 earned) in only 4 innings of work. The Game Score of 18 was tied for the second worst of his career. Hopefully a return home to Los Angeles will result in a better performance today from Kuroda, but he's unfortunate to not get to pitch in the last 3 days as the Braves don't figure to get shut down like the Diamondbacks did.
- Vicente Padilla is scheduled to throw a rehab start tonight with Inland Empire. Padilla is scheduled to throw around 45-50 pitches.
- The two managers facing each other this series in Bobby Cox and Joe Torre have combined for 4,721 wins. Cox and Torre rank 4th and 5th in all time wins respectively.
- The Dodgers and the Braves have played each other plenty throughout baseball history, as both were in the NL West until the 1990's. The Dodgers lead the all time series 1,154 to 1,006.
- The Dodgers have not won a season series against Atlanta since 2002. The Dodgers were 3-4 against the Braves last season.
- And it's that time of the year. The time of year where our game threads are populated with folks who have no rooting interest in a certain basketball game going on tonight. As a representative of the strong Clipper fan contingent of TBLA, there's always next year.
Get your guess in for todays simulation game here.
Game Time: 7:10 p.m