Clearly the bullpen needs more help than the starting pitching right now, despite what a Joe Morgan will tell you. We'd all love to have Roy Oswalt on the staff of course, but between a paralyzed D. McLane and Oswalt's contract vs. the Dodgers budget situation I don't see that happening. With Kuroda looking better and Padilla terrific since he came back (and the assumption that Kershaw and Bills will generally be solid), this isn't as high up the list as some would think. Still, if McDonald falters in latest audition to be the New Number 5, bringing in another back of rotation starter is possible.
With that said, here's what I'd do:
- Bring up Kenley Jansen and at least give him a try in the 'pen.
- Trade for Scott Downs (that one will be controversial with some of ya, and yes, I, too, fear Ned will give up too much for him in prospects, in which case I'd be less enamored with this idea, but I do want him,) I do not like relief trades in general either, but this team needs dire help right now and I don't know if Jansen or Link and/or McDonald alone will solve it.
- DFA Garrett Anderson (not controversial, but least likely of these suggestions to happen); keep XPaul up; bring up John Lindsey. This is honestly less important than the above, but, I'd still like to...
- Acquire another bat for the bench. I'd like Russell Branyan but he may be too expensive and/or redundant for a bench player.
- Make your own roster move suggestions below. Be kind with mine. :-)