The Dodgers head into a three game series in San Diego with Chad Billingsley, returning to the site of his big league debut, four years ago. Billingsley has always pitched well in San Diego, including pitching 7 1/3 scoreless innings earlier this season.
|Chad Billingsley Career Starts In San Diego|
||15||40||3-2, 2.44 ERA
Billingsley is coming off his best start of the season, a shutout against the Giants, the second shutout of his career. Since allowing three home runs in the first two innings to Arizona in the early start on Memorial Day, Billingsley has pitched 49 2/3 innings without allowing another home run.
Jon Garland gets the call for the Padres. He has had a rough stretch since the beginning of June, with a 5.47 ERA in nine starts, but it really just has been a matter of his luck changing from good to bad. Here's a look at his monthly results in 2010:
|Jon Garland Month By Month 2010|
Garland has enjoyed pitching in Petco Park this season, and who wouldn't? Even though he has nearly as many walks (33) as strikeouts (37) at home, he is 5-1 with a 2.51 ERA in San Diego.
- Since the All-Star break, the Dodgers have only managed 25 runs in 11 games, and the only two Dodgers with a "second half" OPS over .800 are Rafael Furcal (.282/.404/.436) and Matt Kemp (.317/.370/.463).
- Dodger starting pitchers have allowed one earned run in their last 37 innings, spanning the last five games
- Casey Blake is hitting .286/.345/.571 with four home runs in 55 plate appearances in his career against Garland
- Adrian Gonzalez is hitting .243/.378/.324 with no home runs in 45 plate appearances in his career against Billingsley
- Not only will August 6 likely feature Clayton Kershaw against Stephen Strasburg at Dodger Stadium, but fans will also take home an 80s Night poster featuring something that looks like this.
- The Dodgers are 4-1 against the Padres this season, and 24-8 against the NL West
- Juan Castro, who was released by the Phillies earlier this season, has signed a minor league deal with the Dodgers, per Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse
Get your guesses in for Xeifrank's game simulation here.
Game Time: 7:05 p.m.