Jon Garland is set to make his spring debut tonight for the Dodgers against the Giants at Camelback Ranch. The Giants are sending a split squad to Glendale, as they already beat the Brewers 7-2 this afternoon.
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports caught up with Russell Martin, and found the former Dodger catcher's accountability lacking:
I don’t know why Martin went skittering away from what made him a good ballplayer. I get the sense he does, and I don’t think he believes he’s not a Dodger because Frank McCourt wouldn’t (or couldn’t) afford him. And that’s Martin’s only hope, that he gets it, that he understands career revival lies within himself and not in the Los Angeles Dodgers’ accountant’s head.
Martin's expected backup in New York, Francisco Cervelli, has a broken foot and could be out as long as two months, which might pave the way for highly touted catching prospect Jesus Montero to join the Yankees, per Ben Shpigel of the New York Times.
Garland makes his fist start of the spring for the Dodgers, and is scheduled to be followed on the mound by Jonathan Broxton, Matt Guerrier, Ron Mahay, Travis Schlichting, Javy Guerra, and John Ely. Barry Zito starts for the Giants tonight.
Dana Eveland is the first cut of the spring, as he was reassigned to minor league camp, per Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times. There are now 58 players in major league camp
- Steve Dilbeck of the Times reports that the Dodgers are planning to wear a patch commemorating Duke Snider this season, which would "mark only the fifth time in the Dodgers’ 121-year history they have worn a memorial patch and the first in 17 years."
- Steve Sax will throw out the ceremonial first pitch tonight at Camelback Ranch
- The Dodgers "30 Clubs in 30 Days" will debut on MLB Network on Sunday at 3 p.m. PST, and will re-air several times, including 7 p.m. Sunday night, then 2 a.m. and 1 p.m. on Monday.
- The Dodgers officially announced they will play against the Diamondbacks on March 25 at Kino Veterans Memorial Stadium in Tucson. Proceeds from the game will benefit the Tucson Together Fund, to help the victims of the shootings in Tucson on Janaury 8, which included Christina-Taylor Green, daughter of Dodgers scout John Green. In addition, the Dodgers will begin selling pins with Green's initials tonight at Camelback Ranch to benefit the memorial fund created in her name.
- The Dodgers have a new radio home for their Spanish language broadcasts. Univision Radio's KTNQ 1020 AM will broadcast all regular season and postseason games for the 2011 and 2012 seasons. In addition, they will broadcast several spring games, with the first broadcast tomorrow's game against the Reds
- The Dodger Stadium Express will continue this season, beginning with the March 28 exhibition game at Dodger Stadium against the Angels. Here are the details of the transportation option, which will run 90 minutes prior to game time and end 45 minutes after the game:
The Dodger Stadium Express will begin at Union Station picking up Dodgers fans at the Patsaouras Bus Plaza adjacent to the east portal of Union Station and continue to Dodger Stadium via Sunset Blvd. and Cesar Chavez Avenue. Passengers will be dropped off and picked up in the Dodgers parking lot behind Left/Center field.
Service will be provided every 10 minutes prior to the start of the game and run approximately every 30 minutes throughout the game. Metro will deploy state-of-the-art 40-foot clean burning compressed natural gas (CNG) buses. Dodgers admission tickets will be honored as fare payment to ride the bus service. Those without a ticket will pay regular one way fare of $1.50.
Game Time: 6:05 p.m. PST
TV: None; radio only tonight