As expected, the Dodgers officially placed shortstop and leadoff man Rafael Furcal on the 15-day disabled list today with a broken left thumb, and have activated Ivan DeJesus from Triple A. DeJesus was around for the first five games, playing in two of them, before getting optioned to Albuquerque after last Tuesday's game in Colorado. Normally, an option has to be at least 10 days, but since DeJesus is replacing an injured player he is allowed to be recalled sooner, and he gets major league service time as if he has been with the Dodgers for the last week.
Additionally, because the option period for DeJesus was less than 20 days, it technically doesn't count as an option used. Between the majors and minors so far this season, DeJesus has four hits in 24 at-bats with four walks and 11 strikeouts.
Here are some stats from the first 10 games of the season:
- Dodger outfielders (which includes all PA while at the position; pinch hit appearances don't count) are hitting .363/.429/.487 so far this season
- Dodger infielders, including catchers, are hitting .206/.271/.296
- Matt Kemp is hitting .441/.537/.647, an 1.184 OPS through 10 games this season
- Kemp hit .333/.385/.756, an 1.140 OPS through 10 games last season
- A tale of two offenses: Kemp hit second, third, and fifth last season through 10 games, and amassed 52 PA; this season, all from the cleanup spot, Kemp has 41 PA
Game Time: 7:15 p.m.