GOING TO THE POST – Dodger starter Jon Garland allowed just two runs over 6.0 innings last night, earning the Dodgers’ 27th quality start of the season in 42 games. Dodger starters have tossed 262.2 innings this season, good for second in the National League, behind just the Atlanta Braves (263.1). Tonight’s starter, Hiroki Kuroda, has tossed at least 6.0 innings in six of his eight starts this year and gone at least 7.0 frames in half those games started.
Since his big league debut in 2008, Kuroda has averaged just 2.08 walks per nine innings, which is the third-best ratio in the National League over that time. In the same span, opponents’ have posted a .292 on-base percentage against him, which is tied for the fifth best in the NL.
YES HE KEN-LEY: – Kenley Jansen yesterday extended his scoreless innings streak to 8.1 frames over his last eight appearances. In that time, he has held hitters to a .074 average (2-for-27) with 16 strikeouts. His 29 strikeouts in 17.0 frames, leads the NL in strikeouts per 9.0 innings, averaging 15.35.
HOT STAFF – The Dodger bullpen has tossed 7.0 consecutive scoreless innings over the last three games to lower its’ ERA from 5.28 to 4.95. Today marks the first time the Dodgers’ bullpen ERA has been under 5.00 since the close of play on April 17. In fact, the entire staff has been tough to hit over the last three weeks:
The above quotes are Press Notes. Below are some pre game notes.
- Dylan Hernandez shaved – team is 0 – 3 since he did the dirty deed
- Matt Kemp shaved – Mothers Day present, but he did not do it on Mothers Day
- No change at 1st base, TJ Simers really pressed him on Loney's non-performance but he said he has to stick with them, but finally admitted they have not seen the progress in James that they would like.
- Uribe – problem is over-swinging – I kept my Duh to myself
- LF for now is a platoon between Sands and Gibbons
- GIbbons was mighty sore after hitting the wall, but is available to pinch hit.
- He feels confident in using Navarro to pinch hit because Mitchell can catch – I muffled my WTF
- Dave Stewart is in the house, he and Lopes were talking about old times and Matt Kemp accused them of talking about him.
- Donny chimed in and reminded Stew about the time he hit him in the head while he was running first because McGwire missed the throw. He said it was on purpose, Stew laughed and did not deny it. Stew still has those mean eyes.
- Ball must be carrying Miles hit a dinger in BP and walked out of the box flexing
- Casey Blake took both hitting and fielding practice, looked good to me