The Dodgers put an end to their three game losing streak riding the best pitching in baseball and Matt Kemp to a 3 - 0 shutout. Matt Kemp got things started with a two -un blast to right center field after a catcher / pitcher conference on the mound. Did the conversation go something like this?:
Lucroy - we should walk this guy, they got nothing after him
Wolf - I've played with him, I can get him out
Lucroy - Coach said not to let Kemp beat us
Wolf - I can get him, just leave it to me
Lucroy - okay Red, go get him
KABOOM - Moon shot to right center - Game Over
Wolf was a bit peeved. I expect his manager was even more peeved for giving Kemp a pitch to hit.
That was all Kuroda needed as he twirled a masterful game, keeping the big guns of the Brewers from going off for 7 2/3 innings. The key inning for Kuroda was the third when he retired both Braun and Fielder after allowing a lead off double to Wolf. From then on he breezed until the 8th when he was pulled for Kenley Jansen. Kenley and Matt Guerrier finished it up, with Guerrier earning his first save as a Dodger.
So many good things happened tonight and Matt Kemp was a big part of all of it. Hard not to give Kuroda the player of the game but if Matt Kemp does not make some plays and hit some balls, I'm pretty sure Kuroda loses this game, so player of the game goes to Matt Kemp.
- Matt Kemp catches Casey McGehee shot to right center field saving two runs
- Matt Kemp hits a two run home to right center field in the first inning
- Matt Kemp doing a perfect turn to catch Prince Fielder's shot to dead center
- Hiroki Kuroda throwing 7 2/3 of shutout ball, though he did get some help from his center fielder
- Kenley Jansen coming and unintentionally walking Prince, then getting McGehee for the final out of the 8th
- Juan Uribe with one walk, two hits, including a key single in the 8th, scoring the third run of the game from 1st on a double that was
- Hit by Jerry Sands who hit a rocket to right center in his bid to hit double digit doubles before hitting his first home run
- Matt Guerrier with a 1 - 2 - 3 ninth to notch his first Dodger save
- A healthy, boisterous, happy crowd who made some serious noise at the right times.
- Kuroda has now tossed 14 2/3 scoreless innings
- Ninth quality start out of the last ten for Dodgers starters, 1.86 ERA, .204 BA against
- Bullpen has not allowed a run in four straight games
- Sands now has eight doubles out of fifteen hits, giving him a better then 2:1 base to hit ratio
- First multi-hit game for Uribe since May 2nd. Would be nice for him to heat up as the Giants move into town
- Kuroda was called for the first balk of his career
It was great, I mean obviously, here tonight, you have to crush that thing to get it out of here. The things he does - not a lot of guys can do
He's a little stiff today. We feel like he'll probably be ready tomorrow, but he was a little stiff today (forearm)