The Dodgers open up a series with the Diamondbacks tonight at Dodger Stadium, the final leg of their nine-game homestand, and the start of trade deadline weekend. Which may (or may not) explain why Eugenio Velez is playing second base tonight rather than Jamey Carroll.
Ted Lilly had a season-high nine strikeouts against Arizona 12 days ago, but he also got touched for four runs in his 6 2/3 innings. His mound opponent tonight, Josh Collmenter, made was a winner in his first major league start on May 14 at Dodger Stadium, pitching six scoreless innings. Chad Billingsley took the loss that night despite giving up just one hit.
- The Dodgers announced that Carlos Monasterios, who made just one start in Triple A this season back in April, underwent Tommy John surgery on July 15, per Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.
- Casey Blake will play another rehab game tonight with the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, and could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Saturday. Juan Uribe, who has battled a hip flexor for the better part of a week, could be placed on the DL, also per Hernandez.
- The Dodgers have lost two of three games at home to Arizona this season but are 19-7 against the Diamondbacks at Dodger Stadium dating back to 2008.
- Arizona has won eight of their last 12 games, including taking two of three in San Diego on the first leg of their nine-game NL West road trip that will take them to San Francisco after this series.
- Old friend Yhency Brazoban, who pitched in six games for the Diamondbacks this season, has been sold to the Fukuoka Softbank Hawks in Japan.
- Arizona made another move, though it doesn't affect this weekend series, acquiring Ryan Langerhans for the always valuable cash considerations.
- Tonight is LA Kings night at Dodger Stadium. Before the game, Dustin Penner, Jarret Stoll and Trevor Lewis will throw out a ceremonial first pitch to teammates Scott Parse, Rich Clune and Alec Martinez.
Game Time: 7:10 p.m.
TV: Prime Ticket