Number 27 turns 27 today.
On the birthday of the possible National League triple crown winner, we look around the internet for news about the NL leader in WAR (both kinds), OPS, OPS+, runs scored, total bases, RBI, and runs created, Matt Kemp:
- Here is video of all four of Kemp's extra-base hits on Thursday. Kemp, who is second among National League outfielders with 11 assists, also had a pretty sweet catch against the Giants.
- Kemp said he was inspired on Thursday by his mother, who was sitting in the front row by the Dodgers' on-deck circle, per Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times. "She's going to San Diego. I might take her to Arizona too."
- Tony Jackson of ESPN LA outlines the difficulty that could face Kemp in MVP voting by not being on a contending team.
- "You talk about a guy that's kind of the total package and shown it all, he's been doing that all year long," Don Mattingly said, per AJ Cassavell of MLB.com. "If you're looking for the guy that's basically been the best player in baseball or the best player in the National League, I think you've got to look at Matt."
- Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts wondered what has taken everybody so long to notice Kemp's triple crown candidacy.
- Weisman also noted last night that Kemp is the 14th Dodger since 1919 to have at least four extra-base hits in one game.
- Craig Calcaterra of HardballTalk, on Twitter: "Matt Kemp: 4 points back in average, one homer back and leading the league in RBI. Triple crown: achievable."
- Ken Rosenthal took note, on Twitter: "Triple Crown? #Dodgers' Kemp: 1st in NL in RBIs by five, 2nd in HRs by one, 3rd in BA by four points.
- Here is Kemp's interview with Michael Eaves on Prime Ticket after Thursday's game, during which Kemp told the crowd, "Next year, we're definitely going to make the playoffs.":
- And finally, Steve Dilbeck in the LA Times recounts a classic story from Vin Scully.