GLENDALE, AZ - MARCH 08: Adam Kennedy #3 of the Los Angeles Dodgers high fives Alex Castellanos #76 after he scored a run against the Oakland Athletics during the spring training game at Camelback Ranch on March 8, 2012 in Glendale, Arizona. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
It was a relatively quiet day at Camelback Ranch on Thursday, with the Dodgers trotting out seven of their eight regulars in the lineup against the Oakland Athletics. The Dodgers won 7-2, and here are some notes from the game:
- Andre Ethier continued his hot start, with a double off left-hander Sean Doolittle in the fourth inning. Ethier has played in three games, and has one extra-base hit in each game (two doubles and a home run) so far this spring.
- Chris Capuano struck out three of the eight batters he faced in his Cactus League debut, allowing just two hits and no runs in his two innings of work.
- Dee Gordon stole his first base of the spring.
- The veteran bullpen trio of Matt Guerrier, Mike MacDougal, and Todd Coffey each pitched a scoreless, hitless inning, with Coffey the most impressive with two strikeouts in his clean frame. Guerrier walked one and MacDougal walked two, but no damage was done.
- Alex Castellanos, who played second base for the second straight game, homered to left field in the sixth inning.
- The Dodgers drew six walks off Jordan Parker and Joey Divine in the first four innings and scored six runs off those two pitchers, but in between Jordan Norberto blew them away by striking out all three batters he faced in the third inning.
- Matt Kemp got his first hit of the spring, an RBI single in the first inning.
- Adam Kennedy got his first two hits of the spring.
- Juan Rivera went 0-for-3 on Thursday and so far on the spring is 0-for-7 with three strikeouts.
- Old friend Travis Schlichting struck out three in two innings for Oakland, allowing only the solo home run to Castellanos.
On Saturday, the Dodgers play day and night with split squad games. Nathan Eovaldi will start the day game in Peoria against Seattle, while Chad Billingsley starts the nightcap at Camelback Ranch against the White Sox.
HR: Alex Castellanos (1)
WP - Chris Capuano (1-0): 2 IP, 2 hits, 3 strikeouts
LP - Jarrod Parker (0-1): 2 IP, 3 hits, 2 runs, 3 walks, 1 strikeout