For the slumping Dodgers to finish with a winning record in interleague play this season, they will have to sweep the Angels in Anaheim, something they have never done in a three-game series. The Dodgers won both games in Anaheim in 1997, the first year of interleague play, but since 1999 they have played 13 three-game series in Anaheim, and won just three.
The Dodgers won two of three games in 1999, 2004, and 2009, but otherwise Anaheim has been a house of horrors. The Dodgers are 15-28 all-time on the road against the Angels.
To turn things around, the Dodgers will need pretty much everyone on offense to turn things around. All 13 position players on the active roster are in some sort of offensive funk right now, to varying degrees:
- A.J. Ellis has two hits in his last 15 at-bats (.133), with three walks during that span.
Juan Rivera is hitting .258/.277/.348 in 14 games since returning from the disabled list on June 4, after hitting .247/.276/.358 in 25 games before going on the DL.
- Jerry Hairston Jr. has one single in his last 24 at-bats (.042), with six walks during that span.
- Juan Uribe is hitting .185 (5-for-27) with a .214 on-base percentage in nine games since returning from the disabled list on June 11.
- Dee Gordon went 0-for-12 in three games in Oakland, including three outs when trying to bunt.
- Bobby Abreu has three hits in his last 18 at-bats (.167), with two walks during that span.
- Tony Gwynn Jr. has two hits in his last 25 at-bats (.080), and has a .250 on-base percentage in 18 games since Matt Kemp went on the disabled list on May 31.
Andre Ethier is hitting .160/.232/.240 in 20 games since Kemp went on the DL.
- James Loney is hitting .247/.304/.274 with two doubles in 26 games and 80 plate appearances since his last home run, which came on May 21.
- Elian Herrera had one double in 12 at-bats (.083) in three games in Oakland.
- Adam Kennedy is hitting .191/.296/.255 in 21 games and 54 plate appearances since going 4-for-4 against the St. Louis Cardinals on May 18.
- Ivan De Jesus is hitting .200/.200/.267 in 10 games and 15 plate appearances in June.
- Matt Treanor has one hit in his last six at-bats (.167), with one walk during that span.
The offensive slump has been a group effort.
Tonight's Pitching Matchup
Chad Billingsley and Dan Haren face off in a battle of two pitchers who didn't pitch when these two clubs played at Dodger Stadium from June 11-13. In each of his two road starts this month, Billingsley allowed one run in seven innings. Haren is second in the American League with a 4.05 strikeout-to-walk ratio, but is also tied for fourth in the league with seven losses and has allowed nine runs in 11 2/3 innings in his last two starts, both against National League West teams.
Game Time: 7:05 p.m.
TV: Prime Ticket, Fox Sports West