Donny Two Times talks with Kenley No Time after seeing Saturday's lead slip away.
The Dodgers started off their post All-Star break schedule the same way they began the season, playing the San Diego Padres. The Dodgers took the lead in the sixth inning of all three games against San Diego, but only Friday's lead was held. A crazy and daring steal of home with two outs in the ninth inning allowed the tying and winning runs to score on Saturday, and five errors led to six unearned runs in Sunday's ugly loss.
The Dodgers got their cavalry back with the return of Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier, and the duo didn't disappoint with a combined line of .500/.524/.700 in three games. But eight unearned runs and two blown leads, combined with the elbow inflammation of Chad Billingsley, led to an unsatisfying weekend for the Dodgers, who are now a game and a half behind San Francisco in the National League West.
Dodger Batter of the Week: Fresh off the disabled list, Andre Ethier drove in half of the Dodgers' 10 runs against the Padres, including his 11th home run of the season on Saturday, matching his total for all of last season.
Honorable mention goes to fellow disabled list returnee Matt Kemp, who was 5-for-9 in his two games; and to Mark Ellis, who scored three runs in three games and hit the game-winning two-run home run on Friday.
Dodger Pitcher of the Week: In his first start of the second half, Clayton Kershaw allowed one run in six innings against the Padres, and picked up the win. Kershaw also pitched a scoreless inning on Tuesday in the All-Star Game in Kansas City.
Honorable mention goes to Javy Guerra, who pitched a scoreless inning in relief on Friday night after learning his father had a heart attack earlier in the day.
Week 15 Record: 1-2
10 runs scored (3.33 per game)
15 runs allowed (5.00 per game)
.323 pythagorean winning percentage
Season Record: 48-42
342 runs scored (3.80 per game)
337 runs allowed (3.74 per game)
.514 pythagorean winning percentage (46-44)
- Friday: Both Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier were activated from the disabled list, with outfielder Scott Van Slyke and utility man Elian Herrera optioned to Triple A Albuquerque.
- Saturday: Javy Guerra was placed on the bereavement list after his father had a heart attack and had to undergo open heart surgery in Mexico. Guerra can be activated as soon as Tuesday. Josh Wall was called up to fill a spot in the bullpen, his first time on a major league active roster.
- Monday: Rob Flippo 10, Matt Kemp 1
- Tuesday: National League 8, American League 0
- Friday: Dodgers 2, Padres 1
- Saturday: Padres 7, Dodgers 6
- Sunday: Padres 7, Dodgers 2
Upcoming Week: The Dodgers run the Lenny Dykstra Gauntlet, battling the Phillies for three at home, followed by three games in New York against the Mets. The Dodgers play three day games this week, including a pair of west coast morning starts during the weekend at Citi Field.
|TBD (Ely?) v.
Week 15 Stats
|Billingsley||Did not pitch this week|
|Eovaldi||Did not pitch this week|
|Elbert||Did not pitch this week|
|Wall||Did not pitch this week|