The Dodgers have won two straight games, but still need nine of 12 outcomes to go their way just to force a tie with the Cardinals.
Thecontinued to move closer in the wild card race, as their win in San Diego moved them a half-game closer to the idle Carinals. The Dodgers still have work to do though, down three games with six games to play.
The Dodgers now need 9 of 12 outcomes to go their way just to force a tie with St. Louis, and that is without considering the performance of the Cardinals, a one-game playoff would be held at Dodger Stadium on Thursday, by virtue of the Dodgers winning the season series with St. Louis, 6-5.. If the Dodgers tie with the
Here are the standings:
|National League Wild Card Standings|
Dodgers Tragic Number: 4
Here is a recap of the relevant Thursday's game action:
Dodgers 8, Padres 4: An offense that works is a good thing.
7, 3: Three home runs for San Francisco sent Arizona to the brink of elimination. The Diamondbacks have an elimination number of one; they literally have no more room for error.
Gio Gonzalez won his MLB-best 21st game and sent Philadelphia to the same position as Arizona.:
The earliest the Dodgers or Brewers could be eliminated is Saturday.
Here is Friday's schedule:
- 5:10 p.m. - Houston (Edgar Gonzalez) at Milwaukee (Yovani Gallardo)
- 4:10 p.m. - Philadelphia (Cliff Lee) at Miami (Mark Buehrle)
- 5:15 p.m. - Washington (Edwin Jackson) at St. Louis (Adam Wainwright)
- 6:40 p.m. - Chicago (Travis Wood) at Arizona (Ian Kennedy)
- 7:10 p.m. - Colorado (Jeff Francis) at Los Angeles ( )