Eric Stephen | True Blue LA
Notes about how Kemp, Crawford and Puig swung the bat, Billingsley and Jansen threw bulllpens, Hanley played shortstop and latest special assistant to Dodger chairman shows up to start new job.
- Don Mattingly had not seen Sandy Koufax yet though he knew he was stopping by the camp today, Koufax will start working with the pitchers on Monday. Mattingly said "I like the old guys, I like the former players around. It is part of the tradition."
- Koufax met Hyun-jin Ryu on the practice field, the extent of their conversation without a translator was what should Koufax call him, the reply was Ryu.
- Ryu also said when asked if he knew who about Sandy Koufax: "Absolutely I know about him, most players in Korea know who Sandy Koufax is, it was an honor to meet him. I am sure I will be able to learn a lot of things from him."
- Chris Capuano, Chad Billingsley, Kenley Jansen, Ted Lilly, and Paco Rodriguez all threw bullpen sessions today. Mattingly was with the hitters all day so he didn't have any thoughts about how they did.
- Billingsley is on a regular schedule and he has no restrictions. "There hasn't been any mention in any of the medical reports or anything else. His name's not on a list, it's not on anything. He's just like one of the guys getting ready. We're really getting to the point where we're just assuming he's going to be ready, and he's going to be fine," Mattingly said.
- Mattingly said earlier that Jansen had an ingrown toenail and that he would have a procedure tomorrow to deal with it. While Jansen didn't take part of the running drills in the morning, as noted above, he did have his bullpen session.
- Chris Withrow had an MRI on his back and the Dodgers expect the results on Monday.
- Mattingly was very pleased with Carl Crawford, who participated in batting practice today. "
Carl was good, I was really surprised." "With Carl being out on the field for the first time, he'd been swinging," but today was the first time he was out on the field in a while.
- Matt Kemp also swung the bat with this group. Again Mattingly was pleased. thought Kemp "looked good" Kemp didn't appear to have any lingering effects from his shoulder injury. Mattingly, Ned Colletti and Stan Kasten among others was watching Kemp, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez and Crawford take batting practice.
- Yasiel Puig took batting practice today and Mattingly had his first chance to see him. On his batting practice, Mattingly said he saw a few swings and that the "ball jumped off his bat; the guy , he's a physical specimen, a big boy." Donnie added Today was a chance to "put the body and the swing and everything he's doing with the name." "He's a young guy coming into camp who is going to get a lot of experience>"
- Capuano was shagging flies when Puig was taking BP, Capuano was very impressed with his raw power and also how he ran the bases. Capuano said it was very fun to watch. He also got out of the way of some Puig's hits as he said you could tell they had something on them.
- Ramirez has been working at shortstop with his defensive group. Mattingly said they have been pleased with his work on the double play and his footwork. Right now, they are happy with what they are seeing.