This wasn't today, but you can imagine what it was like. - Eric Stephen | True Blue LA
Ping pong and elbow pads dominated the news on a rainy day at Dodgers camp in Glendale, Arizona.
Wednesday was a rainy day in Glendale, Arizona, which forced most of the workouts indoors, or at the very least inside the covered batting cages. Here's a quick recap of a slow day at Dodgers camp:
- Despite several players returning from surgery, Dodgers' camp has been relatively injury free to date. So when Hanley Ramirez and Andre Ethier were seen with a contraption on their elbow in the last few days it qualified as relatively big news. But manager Don Mattingly noted they weren't for any injuries suffered by Ethier or Ramirez, but rather they were both wearing molding for a custom-built elbow pad to use this season.
- The one injury suffered so far in camp was to Dodgers PR man Joe Jareck, who tore his left hamstring while legging out a double in the annual spring softball game Tuesday night that pitted Dodgers employees against employees from Camelback Ranch.
- The highly-anticipated double-elimination doubles ping pong tournament got underway in the Dodgers clubhouse on Wednesday, with the team of Clayton Kershaw and Shawn Tolleson defeating A.J. Ellis and Mark Ellis (the team name for the Ellises was "The Law Firm"), and the team of Peter Moylan and Mark Lowe beating Carl Crawford and Tony Gwynn Jr.
- Dodger Talk resumes Wednesday night on KLAC 570 AM at 7 p.m. PT, with co-hosts David Vassegh and Kevin Kennedy. The show will air daily from Monday to Saturday beginning next week, and will feature Vassegh, Kennedy, and Jorge Jarrin.
- Pitchers will continue to throw live batting practice on Thursday, weather permitting. Scheduled to pitch to hitters on Thursday are Josh Beckett, Brandon League, Matt Guerrier, Kevin Gregg, J.P. Howell, and Shawn Tolleson.
- Scheduled to throw bullpen sessions on Thursday are Zack Greinke, Ronald Belisario, Josh Wall, Peter Moylan, Juan Abreu, Matt Palmer, and Steven Ames.