Don Mattingly hopes this baseball isn't the only thing he signs. - Rob Tringali
A look at news about the Dodgers from a different perspective, including a possible contract extension for manager Don Mattingly, the impact of Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax in camp, and more opportunities to watch the Dodgers during spring training.
- Dylan Hernandez at the Los Angeles Times reported that manager Don Mattingly has had discussions with the Dodgers about a contract extension beyond 2013, the final year of his deal. Though no specifics were mentioned, team chairman Mark Walter, who arrived in Arizona on Saturday, told Hernandez, "I think you might see something come up before the end of the year."
- Scott Miller at CBS Sports wrote about Sandy Koufax creating a buzz at Dodgers camp. "Without question,the best signing by the Dodgers this year," said Hall of Fame broadcaster Jaime Jarrin.
- Ken Gurnick at MLB.com wrote a great feature on outfielder Tony Gwynn Jr., who played through a sports hernia in 2012 and is trying to regain a roster spot in 2013.
- Chad Moriyama weighs in on the alleged simplicity of Andre Ethier getting five extra hits per season against left-handers.
- Mike Petriello at Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness combed through the MLB.tv schedule and found seven more Dodgers Cactus League games available to watch online.
- Sam Miller at Baseball Prospectus ($) took a look at the worst position for each National League team in 2012 and how they addressed the situation. For the Dodgers that position was first base, which was addressed in 2012 with the addition of Adrian Gonzalez, whom PECOTA predicts big things for in 2013. Their projection system predicts Gonzalez will hit .286/.367/.486 with 28 home runs and 33 doubles, and 5.1 wins above replacement.
- Mike Piazza discussed his new book on Saturday with Dan Gonyea on NPR's Weekend Edition.