The last time the Dodgers paired Yasiel Puig with Matt Kemp, it worked out swimmingly for Los Angeles. Puig homered when pinch hitting for Kemp on Sunday, his first home run of the spring. But that was at designated hitter. On Tuesday, as the Dodgers are in Peoria to play the Padres, Kemp makes his first start in center field and Puig is slated to follow him.
Manager Don Mattingly said on Tuesday morning that Kemp will get three plate appearances or play five innings in the field, whichever happens first.
Puig is hitting a robust .421 (8-for-19) this spring, a batting average that ranks ninth in the National League. His .737 slugging percentage is no higher than 12th.
- Clayton Kershaw makes his third start of the spring for the Dodgers, and will likely pitch four innings.
- Scheduled to follow Kershaw on the mound for the Dodgers are Matt Guerrier, Kevin Gregg, Shawn Tolleson, Paco Rodriguez, and Steve Ames.
- Aside from Puig, scheduled reserves for the Dodgers are Alfredo Amezaga (SS), Alex Castellanos (LF), Tony Gwynn Jr. (RF), Omar Luna (2B), Jesus Flores (C), Wilkin Castillo (DH), and Justin Sellers (3B).
- Players from the minor league side to suit up and travel with the Dodgers to Peoria are infielders Rafael Ynoa (No. 82) and Rusty Ryal (No. 83), outfielder Matt Angle (No. 84), right-handed pitcher Sean White (No. 88) and left-handed pitcher Fabio Castro (No. 87).
- Catching up from Sunday, the song Ames sang to win Dodgers Idol, in which every player in their first year in Dodgers camp sings in front of the entire organization, was 'Dick in a Box' by Lonely Island.
- Jason Marquis starts for the Padres, and is scheduled to be followed on the mound by Tyson Ross, Donn Roach, Thad Weber, and closer Huston Street.
Time: 12:05 p.m. PT
TV: Fox Sports San Diego (live), MLB Network (delayed, 1pm)