The Dodgers continued their long march on the road with a successful 4-3 week through St. Louis and Pittsburgh.
Dodger Batter of the Week: Mike Marshall hit .379 (11-for-29) with three home runs and three doubles, including a home run in the ninth inning Monday against Todd Worrell to win 1-0 against the Cardinals.
Dodger Pitcher of the Week: The only Dodger starter to pitch twice during the week was Tim Leary, and he pitched the best. Leary shutout the Cardinals on Monday, then allowed two runs in a complete game on Saturday in Pittsburgh.
Week 16 Record: 4-3
24 runs scored (3.43 per game)
19 runs allowed (2.71 per game)
.605 pythagorean winning percentage
Seasonal Record: 57-39
414 runs scored (4.27 per game)
331 runs allowed (3.41 per game)
.601 pythagorean winning percentage (58-38)
Tuesday: Right-handed pitcher William Brennan was recalled from Triple-A Albuquerque to start against the Cardinals. Outfielder Jose Gonzalez was optioned to Triple-A to make room on the roster. The 25-year old Brennan, who was 12-5 with the Dukes, was picked over 20-year-old Ramon Martinez, per Sam McManis of the Los Angeles Times:
(General manager Fred) Claire said he considered bringing up 20-year-old Ramon Martinez, the organization's most prized prospect. But Claire said he wants to give Martinez a few more triple-A starts. "I think we'll see Ramon Martinez sometime this year," Claire said. "We'll see him a lot next year. That's our plan for him."
- Thursday: Jose Gonzalez was recalled back to the Dodgers two days later after outfielder John Shelby was hit in the right eye by a foul ball Wednesday. Shelby was going to be placed on the 15-day disabled list. But after Gonzalez flew to Pittsburgh from Albuquerque, the Dodgers changed their mind on Shelby to the disabled list as his eye improved. "That was tough," Claire told McManis. "I apologized to Jose. He took it well. The traveling was rugged."
- Friday: Stunt man Mickey Hatcher was activated from the disabled list, and William Brennan was optioned back to Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Monday, July 18: Dodgers 1, Cardinals 0
- Tuesday, July 19: Cardinals 3, Dodgers 2
- Wednesday, July 20: Cardinals 8, Dodgers 7
- Thursday, July 21: Pirates 3, Dodgers 2
- Friday, July 22: Dodgers 4, Pirates 2
- Saturday, July 23: Dodgers 6, Pirates 2
- Sunday, July 24: Dodgers 2, Pirates 1
Upcoming Week: The Dodgers run the Milt May Gauntlet, finishing up their 16-game, 14-day road trip with four games at Candlestick Park against the Giants, then they return home for a three-game series against the Astros.
Mulholland (L)/Robinson (R)
Previous 1988 weeks in review: April 4-10 | April 11-17 | April 18-24 | April 25-May 1 | May 2-8 | May 9-15 | May 16-22 | May 23-29 | May 30-June 5 | June 6-12 | June 13-19 | June 20-26 | June 27-July 3 | July 4-10 | July 11-17
Week 16 Stats