The MLB non-waiver trade deadline has come and gone, and the Dodgers were thought to be quiet on Wednesday. They already made their move on July 6 with the acquisition of Ricky Nolasco from the Marlins, and nothing else major materialized. But they did acquire backup catcher Drew Butera from the Twins for a player to be named later or cash considerations.
Butera, who turns 30 on Aug. 9, is a career .182/.230/.263 hitter in the majors and .217/.294/.320 in 485 minor league games. It is unlikely this is more than simply adding catching depth to the system. The Dodgers optioned Butera to Triple-A Albuquerque.
He'll battle with John Baker to see who is the third catcher up in September. "He's a strong candidate, if not the candidate, for that role," Colletti said on MLB Network.
Butera is currently with Triple-A Rochester. He played with Nick Punto on Team Italy in the 2013 World Baseball Classic during spring training. Adding Butera fills the Dodgers' 40-man roster.
But even with the July 31 deadline done, that doesn't mean the Dodgers are done dealing. As we saw last year with the pickup of Joe Blanton and the blockbuster, nine-player Nick Punto trade, deals can and will be made in August, with players passing through waivers.
Here are Coletti's July 31 trades as Dodgers GM:
- 2013: Acquired Drew Butera from the Twins for a player to be named later
- 2012: Acquired Shane Victorino from the Phillies for Josh Lindblom, Ethan Martin and (eventually) Stefan Jarrin
- 2011: Acquired Stephen Fife, Tim Federowicz and Juan Rodriguez from the Red Sox as part of a three-team trade with the Mariners for Trayvon Robinson; also acquired Alex Castellanos from the Cardinals for Rafael Furcal and cash
- 2010: Acquired Ted Lilly, Ryan Theriot and cash from the Cubs for Blake DeWitt, Brett Wallach and Kyle Smit; also acquired Octavio Dotel and cash from the Pirates for James McDonald and Andrew Lambo
- 2009: Acquired Vinny Rottino from the Brewers for Claudio Vargas
- 2008: Acquired Manny Ramirez and cash from the Red Sox as part of a three-team trade with the Pirates for Andy LaRoche and Bryan Morris
- 2007: Acquired Scott Proctor from the Yankees for Wilson Betemit
- 2006: Acquired Greg Maddux and cash from the Cubs for Cesar Izturis; also acquired Julio Lugo from the Rays for Joel Guzman and Sergio Pedroza
Of course at 57-48, the Dodgers are tied with 2007 for their second best record through July 30 in Colletti's tenure. Only the 2009 squad, at 63-39, was better.