The Dodgers finished off their longest road trip of the season with a split in San Francisco against the Giants. After the 11-5 trip, which also included a nine-inning suspended game, over 14 days, the Dodgers returned home and were flat in losing the first two games to the Astros. But the Dodgers recovered to win Sunday to salvage a 3-4 week.
The Dodgers welcomed back Pedro Guerrero and Alfredo Griffin, but also lost Fernando Valenzuela and Jeff Hamilton to injuries.
To top that off, outfielder Danny Heep was forced to pitch two innings on Saturday in a blowout loss in a game Valenzuela left in the fifth inning due to a shoulder injury. Heep, who allowed two runs in two innings, has no illusions of a new direction to his baseball career.
"I just wanted to throw fastballs over the plate. I didn't want to walk anyone or hurt anyone," Heep told Sam McManis of the LA Times. "No, I don't think I'll be in the rotation."
Dodger Batter of the Week: Most of the standouts on offense played part time, so this award goes to Steve Sax. The second baseman hit .323 with three doubles and a triple in seven games, and stole a base. He beat out Jeff Hamilton, who was 4-for-11 (.364) with a home runs and two doubles; Franklin Stubbs, who was 5-for-8 (.625) with a pair of doubles; and Rick Dempsey, who was 4-for-11 (.364) with two doubles and a home run.
Dodger Pitcher of the Week: Ace starter Orel Herhsiser garnered two of the three Dodgers victories this week, including a complete game victory over the Astros. The right-hander is 15-5 with a 2.59 ERA and seven complete games on the season.
Honorable mention goes to Tim Leary, who struck out 10 in nine innings in San Francisco on Wednesday. But he allowed a single to Jose Uribe, the only batter he faced in the 10th inning, and eventually was saddled with the loss.
Week 17 Record: 3-4
28 runs scored (4.00 per game)
31 runs allowed (4.43 per game)
.454 pythagorean winning percentage
Seasonal Record: 60-43
442 runs scored (4.25 per game)
362 runs allowed (3.48 per game)
.590 pythagorean winning percentage (61-42)
- Monday: After missing 59 games with a broken hand, shortstop Alfredo Griffin was activated from the disabled list, and infielder Mike Sharperson was optioned to Triple-A Albuquerque.
- Friday: With cartilage separation on his rib, third baseman Jeff Hamilton was placed on the 15-day disabled list. Pedro Guerrero was activated from the DL after missing 51 games.
- Sunday: One day after leaving in the fifth inning, Fernando Valenzuela was placed on the 21-day disabled list for the first time in his career with a shoulder injury. Outfielder Jose Gonzalez was activated from Triple-A Albuquerque to take Valenzuela's roster spot, as they don't need a fifth starter until Aug. 9.
- Monday, July 25: Giants 3, Dodgers 1
- Tuesday, July 26: Game 1 - Dodgers 7, Giants 3 | Game 2 - Dodgers 6, Giants 5 (11)
- Wednesday, July 27: Giants 2, Dodgers 1 (10)
- Friday, July 22: Astros 3, Dodgers 1
- Saturday, July 23: Astros 14, Dodgers 6
- Sunday, July 24: Dodgers 6, Astros 1
Upcoming Week: The Dodgers run the Tommy Helms Gauntlet, hosting the Reds before heading to Houston to battle the Astros.
Previous 1988 weeks in review: April 4-10 | April 11-17 | April 18-24 | April 25-May 1 | May 2-8 | May 9-15 | May 16-22 | May 23-29 | May 30-June 5 | June 6-12 | June 13-19 | June 20-26 | June 27-July 3 | July 4-10 | July 11-17 | July 18-24
Week 17 Stats