Here's a recap of Monday's relevant action.
Diamondbacks 2, Dodgers 1: NL MVP candidate, Paul Goldschmidt, gave Arizona an 2-0 lead in the first inning via the long ball. The two runs were the deciding factor, as Hyun-Jin Ryu got only one run of support in eight innings of work. The Dodgers magic numbers remains at four, while sitting at 3.5 games back of the NL leading Atlanta Braves.
Padres 2, Pirates 0: Andrew Cashner out-dueled A.J. Burnett with a complete game shutout. The Padres 6'6" 220 pound right-hander was in line for a perfect game through six frames, and ended up surrendering a mere hit and no walks on the evening.
Rockies 6, Cardinals 2: The Rockies and Cardinals came into the eighth inning tied at 2-2. After the eighth, Colorado lead 6-2, which ended up being the final score. The Cardinals are still tied for the NL Central lead with the Pirates.
Reds 6, Astros 1: Johnny Cueto returned to the mound for the first time since June 28th and gave the Reds the victory by providing five innings of scoreless ball. Shortstop Zack Cozart posted four RBI and Jay Bruce collected two RBI. The Reds moved to 2.5 games back of the Cardinals and Pirates.
Braves, Nationals: Postponed because of mass shooting in Washington DC.
Here is a look at the relevant games on Tuesday (all times PT):
- 10:05 a.m. - Atlanta (Mike Minor) at Washington (Dan Haren), Game 1
- 4:05 p.m. - Atlanta (Freddy Garcia) at Washington (Tanner Roark), Game 2
- 4:05 p.m. - San Diego (Eric Stults) at Pittsburgh (Jeff Locke)
- 5:10 p.m. - Cincinnati (Mike Leake) at Houston (Jordan Lyles)
- 5:40 p.m. - St. Louis (Joe Kelly) at Colorado (Juan Nicasio)
- 6:40 p.m. - Dodgers (Zack Greinke) at Arizona (Patrick Corbin)