This question came up on Dodger Thoughts today, and I thought it was an interesting exercise. What are the top five rotations in baseball, once you normalize for defense and park factors. I thought this would be easy, but after the Angels and the Red Sox, I couldn't really think of any truly dominant pitching staffs. Here's what I ended up coming up with:
- Angels - Bartolo Colon might not deserve a spot in this rotation once he comes back from injury.
- Red Sox - The potential to have four ace level pitchers in Schilling, Matsuzaka, Beckett and Papelbon
- Marlins - Scott Olsen and Josh Johnson had pretty amazing strikeout rates at age 22. Dontrelle Willis can be dominant if he avoids the long ball.
- Brewers - While I don't like their four and five, Ben Sheets, Chris Capuano and Dave Bush (4.36 K/BB in 2006) can stand up to anyones one two and three starters.
- Dodgers - Solid, but not elite 1-2-3 starters are backed up with some of the best rotation depth in baseball.