Dodgers (15-18) at Giants (18-18), 1:05pm
With five spring games left, today begins the final trip through the starting rotation, with each starter getting one more tune up. Hiroki Kuroda starts for the Dodgers today in the club's final game in Arizona.
Jonathan Sanchez is scheduled to start for the Giants, "but he burned the index finger on his throwing hand and may be scratched," per T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com.
UPDATE: Sanchez has been scratched, per Henry Schulman of the SF Chronicle -- beware Puerto Rican rice and beans! Giants' #1 prospect Madison Bumgarner will start instead.
A few notes:
- Yesterday's outing by James McDonald was OK: he allowed three runs and six hits in 4.1 innings, but he has impressed Joe Torre to the point where he has basically won, although not yet officially, the 5th starter job.
- Jon Weisman of Dodger Thoughts tempers his optimism of the Randy Wolf signing, asking whether Wolf is "a Tomko in sheep's clothing."
- Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times profiles Blake DeWitt, vying for a spot on the 25-man roster. Larry Bowa sums up the prevailing thought about whether or not to keep DeWitt: "If we knew he could get 250 at-bats as an extra guy, I'd say keep him. If you project that he's going to get 100, you're hurting his progress."
- Tom Tango is conducting a survey of fans, attempting to use the wisdom of crowds to project playing time for players on each team. Take a few minutes to enter in your projections for the Dodgers, won't you?
- Today is the final day of voting in the Elite 8 in the 2009 Dodger Prediction Bracket.