After Casey Blake took the first two pitches from Luis Ayala for strikes, Ernest Lawrence Thayer looked like a prophet. However, the mighty Casey didn't strike out on this night. Instead, The Beard's bloop single with the bases loaded capped a 9th-inning rally tonight to give the Dodgers a 4-3 win over the Marlins at Dodger Stadium. Some notes:
- The Dodgers are now 16-2 in one-run games at home this season
- Tonight's win was the Dodgers' 10th walk-off win of the season
- Andre Ethier has reached base in eight straight plate appearances: single, double, double, walk, double, single, single, walk.
- Hiroki Kuroda's splitter was on fire tonight, and he racked up nine strikeouts in his six innings of work. It was a solid outing by Kuroda, who allowed three runs (two earned) and only seven baserunners.
- Just like last night, the Dodgers went into the bottom of the sixth inning trailing 3-1, and just like last night, they tied it at three in the bottom of the sixth
- Jonathan Broxton picked up his seventh win of the season by pitching a scoreless ninth inning. At home this season, Broxton has allowed one run in 26.2 innings, allowing 11 baserunners while striking out 45.
- Guillermo Mota, who turned 36 today, threw 36 pitches in his two scoreless innings of relief, extending his scoreless streak to 19 innings.
- Rafael Furcal and Orlando Hudson were quite the table setters tonight, with five hits in 10 at-bats, including one single apiece in the ninth inning
The Dodgers are 6-3 on the homestand, which ends tomorrow with Jason Schmidt facing Chris Volstad.
WP - Jonathan Broxton (7-0): 1 IP, 1 strikeout
LP - Dan Meyer (2-1): 0.1 IP, 2 hits, 1 run