Today is the second annual Think Cure! "Radiotelewebethon," to raise money and awareness for cancer research. Tune in all day to the following media outlets to follow and/or participate:
- KABC 790 (all day and all night)
- Prime Ticket (from 11am to 7pm)
- KCAL (a special edition of Think Blue TV at 6:30pm)
- 95.5 KLOS FM (interviews throughout the Mark & Brian Show as well as updates from 10am to 2pm)
At the stadium tonight, for a donation of $100 or more you can do one of the following:
- Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, and Bill Russell will be taking photos with fans from 5-6 p.m. in the ThinkCure! Suite (221) on the club level at Dodger Stadium
- During the 7th & 8th innings of tomorrow night’s game, Dodger pitching legend and current Spanish-language broadcaster Fernando Valenzuela will take photos with fans alongside the 1981 World Series trophy
From the Dodgers:
Last season, the inaugural radio telethon raised more than $165,000 for ThinkCure!, an innovative, community-based non-profit that accelerates collaborative research to cure cancers.
"ThinkCure! is dedicated to making a difference in the fight against cancer and last year, we started to show what was possible with an annual event like this," said ThinkCure! President Janet Clayton. "We’ll offer ways in every medium – radio, television and online – for the community to come together and participate in our common fight against cancer. We’ll also have special opportunities for fans who attend those two games on August 21 and 22. It’s all about doing good while have fun doing it. We know that this event will just get bigger and better every year."
Last month, ThinkCure! awarded $600,000 in grants for research at City of Hope and Childrens Hospital Los Angeles. The one-year grants support research in the development of new therapies to treat brain tumors, gene therapy for lymphoma, and a vaccine for leukemia. The grants were the first research-specific grants awarded by ThinkCure!.
Hiroki Kuroda has announced that he will match the first $25,000 raised in today's telethon with a donation of his own.
Here at True Blue LA, we are doing our part, with the 50-walk challenge, and will donate
$100 $200 to Think Cure once all eight regulars have 50 walks.
[update] -True Blue readers are responding in a big way. Bhsportsguy($50), Dr. Geek($50), Paul Scott ($100). Phil Gurnee will match Eric's donation of $200.
Fans can make donations to the Dodgers’ official charity online at ThinkCure.org, by calling (866) 554-CURE.