The Dodgers got their third straight wonderful pitching performance, this time from Vicente Padilla, but Johan Santana was better, and the Mets pulled away late, scoring a 6-1 victory in the second game of the series.
Padilla pitched seven innings, but had the audacity to allow a pair of runs, although one was unearned, the result of Blake DeWitt dropping the back end of a strike-em-out, throw-em-out double play in the first inning. Padilla had no walks and six strikeouts, and with only 77 pitches through seven innings he seemed on track with the plan laid by Chad Billingsley (nine innings Wednesday) and Hiroki Kuroda (eight innings Thursday).
However, since this is the National League, pitchers also have to bat, so when Jamey Carroll blooped a two-out single down 2-1 in the bottom of the seventh inning, Ronnie Belliard was sent to pinch hit for Padilla, trying to get the tying run home. Belliard grounded out to end the inning, but it only got worse from there.
The trio of Jeff Weaver, James McDonald, and Jack Taschner (making his Dodger debut) faced six batters in the eighth inning, and walked four of them, one intentionally. Travis Schlichting came into a mess, with the bases loaded and two outs, down 3-1, but gave up a three-run double to Jason Bay, effectively ending the competitive portion of tonight's game.
- Padilla has been really great since returning from the disabled list, going 3-2 with a 1.91 ERA in seven starts, averaging 6.71 innings with just nine walks and 38 strikeouts
- Schlichting has allowed eight of 11 inherited runners to score this season
- Since the All-Star break, the Dodger bullpen has 21 walks and only eight strikeouts
- Johan Santana gave up his third run of July, in 38 innings, and the run only scored because catcher Henry Blanco dropped a perfect throw from right fielder Angel Pagan that would have nailed Russell Martin at the plate
- I lost count, but I believe Mets outfielders made 39 great catches tonight
Carlos Monasterios faces Mike Pelfrey in a day game tomorrow
WP - Johan Santana (8-5): 7 IP, 5 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 4 strikeouts
LP - Vicente Padilla (4-3): 7 IP, 6 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), 6 strikeouts