Stop me if you have heard this before, but the Dodgers pitched very well last week, especially the starters, but also were plagued by a paucity of runs. The Dodgers lost four of seven games this week, but this was a memorable week for two reasons.
On Monday, the Dodgers signed their first-round draft pick, Zach Lee, luring him away from becoming a quarterback at LSU. From the very moment Lee was drafted, the consensus was that Lee was unsignable and that Frank McCourt was punting this pick so they wouldn't have to pay a hefty draft bonus this year. However, in the end, Lee was signed, providing a reason for optimism. Sure, the club-record $5.25 million signing bonus was spread out over five years, but at least from a symbolic standpoint, the fact that Lee is now in the organization is a positive step.
On Sunday, the Dodgers announced that Hall of Fame broadcaster Vin Scully would return for the 2011 season, his 62nd year with the team. The Dodgers simply wouldn't be the Dodgers without Vin.
Dodger Batter of the Week: Jamey Carroll had the best week among the starters, hitting .333/.440/.429
Dodger Pitcher of the Week: Ted Lilly wins for the second-straight week, thanks to his two-hit shutout of the Rockies on Thursday. The starters were fantastic this week, averaging 6.71 innings per start with a microscopic 1.91 ERA.
Week 20 Record: 3-4
24 runs scored (3.43 per game)
20 runs allowed (2.86 per game)
.583 pythagorean winning percentage
Season Record: 63-62
540 runs scored (4.32 per game)
537 runs allowed (4.30 per game)
.503 pythagorean winning percentage (63-62)
Friday: The Dodgers placed Vicente Padilla on the 15-day disabled list with a bulging disc in his neck. Taking Padilla's place on the roster was Travis Schlichting, who was recalled from Triple A Albuquerque
- Saturday: The Dodgers activated Manny Ramirez from the disabled list, and to make room Juan Castro was designated for assignment.
- Sunday: The Dodgers activated Jeff Weaver form the disabled list, and placed Travis Schlichting on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder strain.
- Sunday: The Dodgers claimed catcher Rod Barajas from the Mets. He will join the Dodgers in Milwaukee on Tuesday
- Monday: Braves 4, Dodgers 3
- Tuesday: Dodgers 6, Rockies 0
- Wednesday: Rockies 3, Dodgers 2
- Thursday: Dodgers 2, Rockies 0
- Friday: Reds 3, Dodgers 1
- Saturday: Dodgers 8, Reds 5
- Sunday: Reds 5, Dodgers 2
Upcoming Week: The Dodgers hit the road, where they have lost 14 of 17 games since the All-Star break. This week, the Dodgers travel to the land of beer and bratwurst, then satisfy their taste for Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Week 20 Stats