On the day it was reported that the Dodgers reportedly put in a waiver claim on Adam Dunn, attempting to block him from other teams, Dunn showed just why he is so coveted. The slugger hit two towering three-run home runs down the right field line off Clayton Kershaw in the first three innings, giving the Nationals a series-opening 6-3 victory at Dodger Stadium.
Dunn's home run in the first inning went an estimated 460 feet and caromed off the Stadium Club, a target once thought unattainable. His second home run, also with Ian Desmond and Ryan Zimmerman on base, hit high off the foul pole in right field in the third inning.
- The six runs given up by Kershaw were the second most he has ever given up at Dodger Stadium, behind only the seven runs he allowed to Milwaukee on May 4 earlier this season.
- Andre Ethier hit a two-run home run, his second dinger in three games, which extended his hitting streak to six games. He and Matt Kemp are now tied for the club lead with 18 home runs.
- Kenley Jansen walked his first batter of his young career tonight, the light-hitting Justin Maxwell, who struck out three times against Kershaw. Jansen also walked his second batter, although that was an intentional pass to Dunn
- Ramon Troncoso made his first major league appearance since July 2, pitching 1 2/3 scoreless innings
- George Sherrill struck out Adam Kennedy looking to end the top of the ninth inning, and has now retired 13 of the last 16 batters he has faced.
- Drew Storen, the 10th pick of the 2009 MLB draft, retired the Dodgers in the ninth inning for his first major league save
- First base coach Mariano Duncan had back issues tonight and missed the contest. Jeff Pentland took his place in the first base coaches box.
Tomorrow is True Blue LA Night, with Hiroki Kuroda attempting to halt the two-game losing streak against baseball inventor Livan Hernandez.
WP - John Lannan (3-5): 6 IP, 5 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), 2 walks, 2 strikeouts
LP - Clayton Kershaw (10-7): 6 IP, 7 hits, 6 runs, 2 walks, 9 strikeouts
Sv - Drew Storen (1): 1 IP, 1 walk