The Dodgers suffered through another 2-4 week, dropping each of their two series. They have lost their last four series, each two games to one. The patchwork offense was nonexistent again, putting up 2.67 runs per game for the second straight week. The Dodgers scored 27 runs in three games at Wrigley Field three weeks ago, and have scored just 32 total runs in the 12 games since.
Elbow pain continued to wreak havoc in the Dodger clubhouse this week. One week after Casey Blake had to have surgery to treat an infected elbow, the Dodgers lost closer Jonathan Broxton for up to a month with a bone bruise in his right elbow. Even Andre Ethier was affected, missing a game with left elbow inflammation. Luckily Ethier missed just one game, and was able to get the second 30-game hitting streak in the history of the Dodgers.
Dodger Batter of the Week: Rod Barajas and Dioner Navarro, who combined to hit .300/.391/.650 for the week and hit two of the club's three home runs during the week.. Honorable mention goes to both catchers,
Dodger Pitcher of the Week: Clayton Kershaw made two starts during the week, and won both, the Dodgers' only wins in the week. Kershaw allowed just three runs in his two starts, a 1.98 ERA for the week. Honorable mention goes to Chad Billingsley, who only had one start, but allowed just one run in seven innings.
Week 6 Record: 2-4
16 runs scored (2.67 per game)
23 runs allowed (3.83 per game)
.340 pythagorean winning percentage
Season Record: 16-19
127 runs scored (3.63 per game)
159 runs allowed (4.54 per game)
.399 pythagorean winning percentage (14-21)
- Tuesday: Jay Gibbons, who was on the disabled list since the beginning of the season with eye problems, was activated this week. To make room for Gibbons, the Dodgers placed Marcus Thames on the DL with a strained right quad. Thames is expected to miss four to six weeks, which seems to be the standard DL time for the Dodgers these days.
- Friday: Embattled closer Jonathan Broxton was placed on the DL with a bone bruise in his right elbow. Broxton was shut down for two to three weeks, so factoring in possible rehab time Broxton is likely out for a month or so, at least. Kenley Jansen's trip to Chattanooga was a short one, as he was recalled five days after getting sent down.
- Monday: Dodgers 5, Cubs 2
- Tuesday: Cubs 4, Dodgers 1
- Wednesday: Cubs 5, Dodgers 1
- Friday: Mets 6, Dodgers 3
- Saturday: Mets 4, Dodgers 2
- Sunday: Dodgers 4, Mets 2
Upcoming Week: The series in New York was the start of another period for the Dodgers of 20 games in 20 days. The Dodgers finish their road trip with four night games in Pittsburgh, followed by a home series with Arizona.
|(R) Karstens||(R) Correia||(L) Maholm||(R) Morton||(L) Saunders||TBD||(R) Kennedy|
Week 6 Stats