- Shortstop Alex Gonzalez, who signed with the Brewers this offseason and will serve in a utility role for Milwaukee, was pursed by the Dodgers this winter to play third base, wrote Adam McCalvy of MLB.com:
The Dodgers also eventually showed interest, to the point that Gonzalez and his agent sat down with Dodgers GM Ned Colletti and manager Don Mattingly to discuss how Gonzalez could fit — playing some third base and "pushing" shortstop Hanley Ramirez. But Gonzalez thought L.A. was already too flush with infielder.
- Mike Petriello at Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness offered his thoughts on the offseason pursuit of Gonzalez: "I’m pleased the Dodgers have recognized the risks on the left side and did their due diligence in sourcing options, even if none ultimately worked out."
- Steve Dilbeck at the Los Angeles Times has more on Steve Garvey's battle with prostate cancer.
- Scott Van Slyke, who was designated for assignment then went unclaimed in December and was outrighted to the minors, told John Kochurov of The Hardball Times, "I’ve hit against Greinke, and Matt Moore, and lots of other major league pitchers. They’re good, but they’re not better than me."
- Chris Blessing and the fine folks at Bullpen Banter ranked their top 15 Dodgers prospects, with Yasiel Puig leading the list. But aside from the rankings and analysis, they provided videos for 11 of the 15 players.
- The Dodgers' signing of Zack Greinke ranked as the fifth best offseason move in MLB by Grant Brisbee at Baseball Nation.
- Mark Saxon filed his final two 'Computers vs. Scout' projection pieces for ESPN Los Angeles, for Carl Crawford and Hyun-jin Ryu.
- Former Dodgers general manager Dan Evans said Friday that he has accepted a position in the scouting department of the Toronto Blue Jays.
- The White Sox tweeted their lineup for Saturday's opener against the Dodgers and Clayton Kershaw:
De Aza CF
Dodgers links: Alex Gonzalez pursued, Scott Van Slyke perceived
The infielder was reportedly sought by the Dodgers during the offseason, but ultimately decided to sign with Milwaukee.