The Dodgers have their first split squad day of the spring on Friday, as one contingent heads to Tempe to play the Angels and one stays home to host the Padres at Camelback Ranch. Both games offer a chance to see a recent top draft pick pitch for the Dodgers, as Zach Lee will pitch against San Diego and Chris Reed will pitch against the Halos.
The other news of the day involves all three starting outfielders for the Dodgers, as Carl Crawford's opening day status is in jeopardy with minor nerve irritation in his left arm. Andre Ethier was scratched with a callus on his right hand in Tempe, while Matt Kemp returns to the lineup as the designated hitter against San Diego.
Manager Don Mattingly and bench coach Trey Hillman are in Glendale for the home game, while Triple-A manager Lorenzo Bundy will manage the squad in Tempe. Pat Corrales, a special assistant to general manager Ned Colletti, will serve as bench coach for Bundy, and both pitching coach Rick Honeycutt and bullpen coach Chuck Crim are in Tempe to watch Hyun-jin Ryu, making his first start of the spring.
- Tony Gwynn Jr. felt better on Friday morning, and will start in left field in Tempe.
- With Ethier scratched, Yasiel Puig gets the start in right field against the Angels, batting third. Puig and Dee Gordon are the only Dodgers to play in every spring game so far.
- Justin Sellers might be available for the Dodgers in the game at Camelback Ranch, after missing the last two days with an ingrown toenail.
- After Ryu on the mound in Tempe, Dodgers scheduled to pitch are Matt Palmer, Shawn Tolleson, Paco Rodriguez, and 2011 first round draft pick Reed. Also on the trip from the minor league side are Sean White, Eric Eadington, and Geison Aguasviva.
- Scheduled reserves for the Dodgers in Tempe are Ozzie Martinez (SS), Brian Barden (3B), Dallas McPherson (1B), Matt Wallach (C), and Nick Evans (LF).
- Zack Greinke starts for the Dodgers against the Padres, and will be followed on the mound by Matt Guerrier, Kevin Gregg, Stephen Fife, Kelvin De La Cruz, and 2010 first round pick Lee. Also suited up from the minor league side are Blake Johnson and Victor Garate.
- Scheduled reserves for the Dodgers vs. San Diego are Omar Luna (2B), birthday boy Ramon Castro (C), and Elian Herrera (CF).
- Jered Weaver starts on the mound for the Halos, making his first start of the spring. Also scheduled to pitch for the Angels are Barry Enright, Fernando Cabrera, and Kevin Jepsen.
- Freddy Garcia starts for the Padres.
- Former Dodgers Eric Karros and Shawn Green addressed the team in the clubhouse during the morning's team meeting, and both will be in camp through Sunday in uniform as coaches. Green will throw out a ceremonial first pitch before Friday's game against the Padres, and Karros will do the same on Sunday vs. Cleveland.
- Both Chad Billingsley and Chris Capuano are scheduled to pitch on Saturday in Peoria against the Mariners, but they will flip roles from their Feb. 24 outings. Capuano starts against the Mariners Saturday, while Billingsley will follow him.
- Don Mattingly apparently doesn't like Italy's chances in the World Baseball Classic. When asked about Nick Punto, playing for Team Italy, and Mattingly joked, "I'm not counting on missing him the whole time anyway. I love Italian food, but."
- The Dodgers will host an open house for potential season ticket holders on Sunday.
Time: 12:05 p.m. PT (both)
TV: Fox Sports West (Angels broadcast) | none (vs. Padres)
Radio: KLAC 570 (vs. Angels) | MLB.com (Padres broadcast)
Gameday links: at Angels | vs. Padres