The Dodgers, now with 100% more Carl Crawford, play a pair of games on St. Patrick's Day, their final split squad day of the spring. They host the Brewers at Camelback Ranch and hit the road to face the Diamondbacks.
Crawford makes his debut for the Dodgers as designated hitter in the home game against Milwaukee, and manager Don Mattingly said Crawford would play as long as he wanted on Sunday. In addition, Crawford will be the designated hitter on Monday and Tuesday for the Dodgers.
Crawford had 17 plate appearances in minor league games over the last three days.
"It sounded like yesterday he had just about enough with the minor league at-bats," said manager Don Mattingly. "He had to get some energy and play out in front of people."
Though Crawford has also made progress throwing, it seems that won't return until the regular season. But as long as Crawford is ready with the bat, that will determine when he's ready.
"I don't think he's going to be 100% (throwing). When I asked Stan (Conte, director of medical services) when is he ready to really throw and he said, 'May.' So it's going to be a work in progress," Mattingly said. "But we're building to a point where we're comfortable with him being out there. We're feeling good about everything about Carl right now."
It is unknown what Crawford will do after his three scheduled games as the DH, but a return to playing the outfield could come fairly soon.
"I think there was a threshold that he needed to get to before Stan was comfortable with him being in the outfield," Mattingly said. "Once we get to that threshold and not have any setbacks, we feel like that's the time we'll see him in the outfield."
- Hyun-jin Ryu has a limit of roughly 90 pitches or six innnings on Sunday, while Ted Lilly has a limit of 50-60 pitches.
- Chris Withrow will make his 2013 Cactus League debut on the mound in relief in Scottsdale against Arizona. Also scheduled to pitch for the Dodgers in that game are Peter Moylan and Ronald Belisario.
- Chris Reed is among the pitchers scheduled to follow Ryu on the mound against Milwaukee, as are Matt Guerrier, Mark Lowe, and Kevin Gregg.
- Minor leaguers on the travel roster to Talking Stick include Corey Seager, Scott Van Slyke, Yimi Garcia, Gorman Erickson, Miguel Rojas, C.J. Retherford, Matt Angle, Jeremy Moore, Jeremy Rathjen, Rusty Ryal, and O'Koyea Dickson.
- Minor leaguers suiting up for the Dodgers against the Brewers include Chris Jacobs, Brian Barden, Omar Luna, Rafael Ynoa, Jonathan Garcia, Noel Cuevas, Brian Cavazos-Galvez, and Pedro Guerrero.
- The Dodgers announced the signings of three players from the Dominican Republic: shortstops Dennis Santana and Carlos Aquino, and left-handed pitcher and Batman villain Cesar Romero. The Aquino signing was reported back in January, and for a reported $75,000.
- The Dodgers are wearing green jerseys and green caps at Camelback Ranch, and green caps at Salt River Fields.
Time: 1 p.m. PT (both)
TV: KCAL (vs. Brewers) | Fox Sports Arizona (at D-Backs)
Radio: KLAC (vs. Brewers) | MLB.com (at D-Backs)
Gameday links: vs. Brewers | at D-Backs