For the second consecutive game the Dodgers held a two-run lead in the late innings at Coors Field, and for the second consecutive day the game was decided in 10 innings. But the Dodgers came up on the short end on Saturday with a 7-6 loss to the Rockies.
Matt Guerrier allowed three consecutive hits with two outs in the 10th inning, the winner a single to right field by Dexter Fowler.
Zack Greinke pitched into the sixth inning but also allowed four runs and 12 baserunners. It might be easy to chalk it up to a Coors Field start had his previous two starts not also been bad. Since returning from the disabled list Greinke has allowed 16 runs and 33 hits in 17⅔ innings, with just 10 strikeouts and seven walks.
But the Dodgers led 6-4 in the seventh inning when Ronald Belisario allowed a single to Troy Tulowitzki then a home run to Michael Cuddyer for the equalizer.
- Carl Crawford had two doubles in his two at-bats but left with a left hamstring cramp. It is unknown if he needs to go on the disabled list, but it's hard to imagine Crawford will play Sunday. Without a roster move, the Dodgers have Andre Ethier, Scott Van Slyke, Skip Schumaker and Jerry Hairston as their only available outfielders.
- Paco Rodriguez, who was removed for Belisario after just 11 pitches in his first outing since Sunday, pitched a scoreless inning and has retired nine of his last 10 batters faced.
- Tim Federowicz hit his first major league home run, a solo shot against Jhoulys Chacin in the third inning. He also hit a two-run double in the sixth inning to reclaim the lead for the Dodgers.
- J.P. Howell struck out the side in a scoreless eighth inning, followed that up with a scoreless ninth, then struck out Todd Helton to open the 10th. The only one of his eight batters faced to reach base did so via error. Howell last allowed a run on May 4, and in his last nine games has allowed four hits, three walks and no runs, with 11 strikeouts in 12⅓ innings.
- Ethier struck out against southpaws Josh Outman in the seventh inning and Rex Brothers in the ninth. Since May 1, Ethier is 4-for-20 (.200) with three walks against left-handed pitching and on the season against southpaws is hitting .241/.286/.379. It's almost as if seven years of data against left-handers carries more weight than one hot month.
- Yasiel Puig, who played center field on Thursday and Friday for Double-A Chattanooga, is not in the Lookouts lineup on Saturday night. Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reported the Dodgers pulled Puig so he wouldn't get hurt while the Dodgers determined the status of Crawford.
- For those wondering about a possible call-up of Elian Herrera, who was placed on the inactive list by Triple-A Albuquerque, the reason was not because of a possible promotion but rather so Herrera could be with his wife and baby, per Chris Jackson of the Albuquerque Examiner.
The Dodgers go for the series win on Sunday. Hyun-jin Ryu is the planned starter but is still sore after getting hit in his foot by a comebacker on Tuesday. Ryu is questionable to make his Sunday start, per Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, which could mean Matt Magill gets recalled for a spot start. Either way, they will face Jorge De La Rosa, who has never beaten the Dodgers in 14 career appearances against them.
Home runs: Tim Federowicz (1); Carlos Gonzalez (14), Michael Cuddyer (9)
WP - Matt Belisle (3-2): 3 up, 3 down
LP - Matt Guerrier (1-2): ⅓, 3 hits, 1 run