Yasiel Puig is making his presence felt with the Dodgers, even though he has only been on the active roster for just over five weeks. He is moving the needle in television ratings, as the Dodgers on KCAL Tuesday achieved their highest regular season rating since August 2007. This came one night after setting their highest TV mark since 2009.
People want to watch Puig. And wear his jersey apparently. Major League Baseball released its list of most popular jerseys, based on sales for the entire season. Puig, who was called up on June 3, ranks 10th on the list.
The Dodgers are quite popular on the list, the only team with four in the top 20 jersey sales. Hyun-jin Ryu is No. 11, Matt Kemp is No. 14 and Clayton Kershaw is No. 15.
Buster Posey of the Giants, the reigning National League MVP owns the No. 1 selling jersey. The oldest player in MLB, Mariano Rivera, has the No. 2 selling jersey, while the second youngest player, Bryce Harper, checks in at No. 6.
Here are the top 20 jersey sales since the beginning of the season in MLB:
1. Buster Posey, San Francisco Giants
2. Mariano Rivera, New York Yankees
3. Yadier Molina, St. Louis Cardinals
4. David Wright, New York Mets
5. Matt Harvey, New York Mets
6. Bryce Harper, Washington Nationals
7. Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
8. Manny Machado, Baltimore Orioles
9. Mike Trout, Angels
10. Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers
11. Hyun-Jin Ryu, Los Angeles Dodgers
12. Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
13. Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox
14. Matt Kemp, Los Angeles Dodgers
15. Clayton Kershaw, Los Angeles Dodgers
16. Sergio Romo, San Francisco Giants
17. Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates
18. Yu Darvish, Texas Rangers
19. Pablo Sandoval, San Francisco Giants
20. Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers