PHOENIX -- The Dodgers signed 19-year-old Japanese free agent right-handed pitcher Takumi Numata to a minor league contract, the team announced on Monday.
Numata graduated Ohgaki Nihon University High School in 2012 and played this season for the Edion AIT OB Blits in the Japanese Industrial League. Not much is known about Numata but for what it's worth Sunny at the Japanese Baseball Blog NPBBaseball.com says Numata as a 92-93 mph fastball.
Dodgers scouts Iaso O'Jimi and Pat Kelly, both hired in the last 11 months as part of the Dodgers' beefed-up international scouting program, signed Numata.
Numata will report to the Dodgers' training facility at Camelback Ranch in Glendale, Ariz., and will work out with the Dodgers' instructional league team.
More from True Blue LA:
- Matt Kemp activated from DL, likely to see limited role at first
- Hanley Ramirez resumes baseball activities
- Yasiel Puig back in lineup for Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks
- Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks preview, news & notes
- Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks TV schedule, starting pitching matchups
- Dodgers Week 24 review: Juan Uribe homers aplenty