SAN DIEGO -- Ryan Lavarnway was a casualty of the Dodgers' flurry of transactions on Wednesday, though not all of them are finalized. Just five days after the Dodgers claimed the catcher and first baseman off waivers from the Red Sox, Lavarnway was designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.
The Dodgers did make official a pair of trades, with seven players, cash and potentially a player to be named later involved in deals with the Marlins and Angels. Four players were added to the Dodgers' 40-man roster - Howie Kendrick, Chris Hatcher, Enrique Hernandez and Austin Barnes - while three were sent away - Dee Gordon, Dan Haren and Miguel Rojas.
As for Haren, who has threatened to retire if dealt away from Southern California, Friedman said Haren handled the news of the trade professionally, and that the Dodgers' side of the trade isn't affected by Haren's decision to either pitch in Miami or walk away from a $10 million salary.
"That's between the Marlins and Haren," Friedman said.
The Dodgers claimed Lavarnway off waivers from Boston on Dec. 5, and he is the second player this offseason to be acquired by then jettisoned by the new front office regime. Earlier this offseason, infielder Ryan Jackson's stay on the Dodgers' roster lasted 23 days.
The Dodgers are expected to finalize their deal for Jimmy Rollins soon, perhaps as early as Thursday, which meant Friedman wouldn't address Rollins specifically.
"We need to figure out what we're going to do at the shortstop position," Friedman said late Wednesday night with a wry smile, drawing laughter from reporters.
Friedman also wouldn't address the rumored four-year, $48 million deal with pitcher Brandon McCarthy, but did say the club plans to add two starting pitchers this offseason.