Week 2 of the Arizona Fall League for the Dodgers was highlighted by a strong outing by right-hander Jharel Cotton, who pitched three scoreless innings on Thursday in his second appearance for the Glendale Desert Dogs.
Cotton started under the lights on Thursday night at Salt River Fields, and struck out six in his three innings of work. He worked around a single in the first inning and his first four outs were strikeouts. He allowed a single and a stolen base in the second inning, and a double and a walk in the third, but stranded them all.
With runners in scoring position against Cotton on Thursday, batters were 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and a walk. He threw 54 pitches in his start, 33 for strikes.
Cotton's next start will be on Tuesday in Mesa against the Solar Sox, a team comprised of Athletics, Angels, Cubs, Marlins and Rays prospects.
On offense, second baseman Brandon Dixon paced the way going 6-for-13 (.462), including four hits and a double on Friday against Surprise, at Salt River Fields. In his three games this week, Dixon scored three runs, walked once, and drove in two.
Here is a summary of how the rest of the Dodgers contingent performed this week in Arizona:
- Ralston Cash pitched two scoreless innings including a save on Friday, with one walk and one strikeout in both of his appearances during the week.
- Rob Rogers pitched an inning on Thursday, allowing a two-run home run against Salt River.
- Matt West is off to get married, and was replaced on Glendale's roster by left-hander Michael Johnson, who allowed four runs on three hits, including a home run, and a walk in his one appearance, recording two outs on Saturday against Surprise.
- Jacob Scavuzzo was 3-for-8 (.375) with a walk and two runs scored in his two games in center field this week, and is 6-for-12 overall in the AFL.
- Kyle Farmer was just 2-for-11 (.182) in his three games, but both hits were doubles, and he scored twice and drove in two runs, including one sacrifice fly.
- Brandon Trinkwon was 2-for-4 with a run scored on Saturday, playing third base.
Upcoming Glendale schedule
All games next week at 12:35 p.m. PT
Monday: vs. Mesa
Tuesday: at Mesa
Wednesday: at Scottsdale
Thursday: vs. Scottsdale
Friday: vs. Peoria
Saturday: at Peoria
Sunday: off day