clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Chad Gaudin looking to move past 2013 arrest

Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- When word got out that pitcher Chad Gaudin was in Dodgers camp this morning, some of my earliest replies on Twitter brought to light an unsavory incident involving the pitcher in 2013 in Nevada.

"It's all past and gone," Gaudin said on Wednesday.

Gaudin was arrested by Las Vegas police on January 27, 2013 for allegedly groping a woman at a hospital, per Mike Blasky of the Las Vegas Review Journal:

According to police, Gaudin was drunk about 4:30 a.m. when he approached a 23-year-old woman on a gurney at Desert Springs Hospital, three miles east of the Las Vegas Strip.

The woman told police she was lying on a gurney in the emergency room lobby when Gaudin appeared, told her "she was gorgeous" and touched her face and breast, she said.

A witness heard Gaudin say, "I will take care of you, don’t worry about them," to the woman and then saw him touch her face, leg and breast, according to a police report.

A paramedic also saw the incident and told Gaudin to stay away from the woman, but he refused. Hospital security held him down until police arrived.

"Gaudin was still yelling and using profanity," when police arrived, the arresting officer wrote in his report.

Word of the arrest didn't become public until July 2013, when Gaudin was charged with open and gross lewdness, a gross misdemeanor. At the time, Gaudin's attorney Dominic Gentille released a statement on his client's behalf, per Alex Pavlovic, then of the San Jose Mercury News:

On January 27, 2013, Chad Gaudin was examined in the emergency room of a local hospital while experiencing symptoms believed to be related to acute renal failure due to a condition known as rhabdomyolysis. The symptoms included confusion, dehydration and loss of orientation and/or consciousness. Although he has been accused of improperly touching another hospital patient while on the premises that night, there are differing and exonerating versions of what occurred that have been reported by eyewitnesses. Mr. Gaudin denies any unlawful conduct and has been cooperating with the authorities. I am confident that this matter will be resolved in his favor and because it is pending in court there will be no further comment.

Gaudin ultimately pleaded no contest to a disorderly conduct charge in September 2013, per Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Gaudin was sentenced to perform 100 hours of community service and to undergo impulse control counseling.

Dodgers general manager Farhan Zaidi on Wednesday didn't say much when asked about the ordeal, other than that Gaudin went through the legal process.

"It just sounded like an unfortunate incident," Zaidi said.