clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Arizona Fall League: Tim Locastro has solid week, Cody Bellinger homers

New, 177 comments

A week in review of Oct. 17-22 in the AFL

Minor League Baseball: Arizona Fall League-Scottsdale Scorpions at Glendale Desert Dogs
Tim Locastro was a busy man this week in the Arizona Fall League.
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

Dodgers infielder Tim Locastro had a busy week in the Arizona Fall League, playing all six games for the Glendale Desert Dogs, highlighting what was a 1-5 week in the desert.

Locastro started four games at second base, entered another game at pinch hitter and played the final five innings at second, and played in another game as a pinch runner.

He was 6-for-14 (.429) with a walk and five RBI, driving in a run in four different games. Locastro scored twice and stole one base in two attempts during the week.

Cody Bellinger hit his first home run of the AFL, a two-run shot on Tuesday against Rays prospect Brent Honeywell, a right-hander. Bellinger was 2-for-10 (.200) with that home run, a double and two walks in three games during the week, driving in two. He played one game in center field, one at first base and once at designated hitter.

In addition, here is some Bellinger swing video from 2080 Baseball:

Willie Calhoun had a light week, going 2-for-5 in his two games, both at second base. Here is video of Calhoun taking batting practice during the week, from Mike Rosenbaum of MLB Pipeline:

Alex Verdugo struggled at the plate, going 1-for-14 with a walk, but perhaps the most notable aspect of his week was starting two of his four games in right field, and played another two innings in another game in right field. Verdugo during the 2016 season for Double-A Tulsa played 76% of his defensive innings in center field and the other 24% in right.

Verdugo is 4-for-23 so far in the AFL but has only struck out twice.

Here is more BP footage from Rosenbaum, this time of Verdugo:

On the pitching side, Chris Anderson struggled again in his Friday start, allowing six runs (five earned) in three innings, including a home run, with two walks and two strikeouts.

The rest of the pitching week:

Joe Broussard: 2 games, 3 IP, 3 runs (2 earned), strikeout

Ralston Cash: 2 games, 2 scoreless IP, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts

Corey Copping: 2 games, 2⅓ IP, 3 runs (2 earned), 1 walk, 4 strikeouts

Old friend alert

Frankie Montas, dealt to Oakland in the Rich Hill / Josh Reddick trade, has six scoreless innings so far in the AFL, with six strikeouts and no walks, a pair of three-inning relief outings for the Mesa Solar Sox. He was limited to just 16 minor league innings in the regular season thanks to rib resection surgery in February then a stress fracture in his rib in June.

Jim Callis at MLB.com profiled Montas on Thursday:

Montas breezed through the fifth through seventh innings, allowing just one hit while retiring nine of the 10 batters he faced. He sat at 98-100 mph with his fastball and at 88-90 mph with his cutter/slider while also mixing in a few changeups. He threw 29 of 42 pitches for strikes, fanning five batters.

"I missed a lot of time during the season," said Montas, a 23-year-old right-hander now with the Athletics. "This is going to help me get back to where I was and to work on what I need to work on to get better. I'm mostly getting innings and working on a changeup. I'm also trying to get my confidence back and throw more strikes."

Arizona Fall League upcoming schedule

Monday: at Scottsdale, 5:35 p.m. PT
Tuesday: vs. Surprise, 11:35 a.m.
Wednesday: at Salt River, 11:35 a.m.
Thursday: vs. Mesa, 11:35 a.m.
Friday: vs. Salt River, 11:35 a.m.
Saturday: at Salt River, 11:35 a.m.
Sunday: off