LOS ANGELES — Two legendary Dodgers icons will be honored at Dodger Stadium in 2017, with the unveiling of the long-anticipated Jackie Robinson statue and a ceremony honoring the now-retired Vin Scully.
It’s becoming more and more difficult to keep up with the various honors for Scully, who was at the White House earlier Tuesday receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama, the highest honor a U.S. civilian can receive.
Also on Tuesday, the Dodgers unveiled their 2017 promotional schedule, and chief among the dates to remember is Wednesday, May 3, when the Dodgers will honor Scully with a ceremony before that night’s game against the Giants.
In September, during the Scully appreciation ceremony for his final weekend calling games at Dodger Stadium, Dodgers owner and chairman Mark Walter said the Dodgers would place Scully in the club’s “ring of honor” with the 10 retired uniform numbers displayed down the left field line.
"This is your house,” Walter said that night. “We expect you to come home and see us often."
On May 3 against the Giants, fans will receive “a commemorative item” in conjunction with Scully’s ceremony.
On Saturday, April 15, fans will receive a replica Robinson statue before the Dodgers’ game against the Diamondbacks, on Jackie Robinson Day. That day will also see the unveiling of the actual statue, sculpted by Branly Cadet.
The Robinson statue will be the first of its kind at Dodger Stadium, and was originally slated for unveiling in 2016.
Other notable dates
- Among the various other promotional dates announced by the Dodgers, there are some dates to remember:
- Saturday, June 10 will feature the Dodgers Old Timers Game, before the game against the Reds.
- Game times for 2017 haven’t yet been finalized, but the Dodgers are planning “Business Person Special” days — aka, a day game — on Thursday, April 6 against the Padres and Wednesday, June 7 against the Nationals.
- A movie night is planned for Saturday, July 22 against the Braves. The movie to be shown hasn’t yet been revealed.
- There are 10 bobblehead games and eight “Great Dodger Moments” commemorative coin games.
- A Fernando Valenzuela replica jersey will be given away on Wednesday, April 5 before the game against the Padres.
- There is not yet, however, any sort of giveaway or ceremony for Mike Piazza, who was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2016.