We are a week into Arizona Fall League play, with Yusniel Diaz and Will Smith highlighting the performances from the Dodgers contingent for the Glendale Desert Dogs.
Diaz was 5-fof-13 (.385) with three walks (.500 on-base percentage) and just one strikeout in his four games, including a home run hit on Monday against A’s right-hander Sam Bragg.
Smith was 5-for-14 (.357) with two doubles, a triple and two walks in four games. He threw out top Braves prospect Ronald Acuna trying to steal second base last Tuesday, but allowed three other stolen bases during the week.
Andrew Sopko started on Friday in Surprise, and allowed only a solo home run in his three innings. The right-hander, who turned 22 in August, had a 4.13 ERA in 23 starts for Double-A Tulsa this season, with 74 strikeouts and 45 walks in 104⅔ innings.
Here are the other performances from the week:
- Matt Beaty: 4-for-17 (.235), double; played all four of his games at third base
- D.J. Peters: 1-for-8 (.125), walk in two games
- Michael Boyle: 2⅓ IP, 1 run (3.86 ERA), one walk, two strikeouts in two games
- Isaac Anderson: 2 IP, 0.00 ERA, two strikeouts in two games
- Shea Spitzbarth: 2 IP, 0.00 ERA, two strikeouts, one save in two games
Tuesday vs. Scottsdale, 12:35 p.m. PT
Wednesday at Scottsdale, 6:35 p.m.
Thursday at Salt River, 6:35 p.m.
Friday vs. Salt River, 12:35 p.m.
Saturday: Bowman hitting challenge at Sloan Park (Mesa), 6:35 p.m.
Sunday: off day