The Dodgers try to get their act together on Tuesday night against the Diamondbacks, and will have to do so against Zack Greinke, who makes his third start at Dodger Stadium since leaving as a free agent.
One year ago tonight, the Dodgers blasted five home runs against Greinke, knocking him out in the fifth inning after tagging him for eight runs. This season Greinke has been much better all around than his first season with Arizona, but he also lost at Dodger Stadium on April 14, allowing five runs on 10 hits. The Dodgers also walked three times against him that night, running his pitch count to 107 in just five innings.
The Dodgers have scored five or more runs just twice in their last 11 games.
Hyun-jin Ryu tries to turn things around as well after allowing three home runs and six runs in just four innings to these Diamondbacks last Wednesday in Arizona.
The unrelenting, daily grind of the baseball doesn’t allow teams to always line up their starting rotation the way they might like, and in the case of Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks the regular season pitching matchups haven’t necessarily looked like what the playoffs might.
The Dodgers are 5-1 in games against Arizona started by Clayton Kershaw, Yu Darvish and Alex Wood (6-4 if you add Rich Hill).
The Diamondbacks are 7-4 in games against the Dodgers started by Greinke, Robbie Ray, and Zack Godley (9-4 if you add Taijuan Walker).
In their 17 games against each other in 2017, eight games have featured two potential playoff starters, with each team winning four:
- April 14 at Dodger Stadium (Kershaw vs. Greinke): 7-1 Dodgers
- April 16 at Dodger Stadium (Hill vs. Walker): 3-1 Diamondbacks
- April 21 at Chase Field (Wood vs. Walker): 13-5 Diamondbacks
- July 5 at Dodger Stadium (Wood vs. Godley): 1-0 Dodgers
- July 6 at Dodger Stadium (Hill vs. Ray): 5-4 Dodgers
- August 9 at Chase Field (Wood vs. Greinke): 3-2 Dodgers
- August 29 at Chase Field (Hill vs. Godley): 7-6 Diamondbacks
- September 4 at Dodger Stadium (Hill vs. Ray): 13-0 Diamondbacks
Time: 7:10 p.m. PT
TV: SportsNet LA, KTLA