The fifth article of this series finds us at choosing the shortstop for the Dodgers of the Decade team.
Last week, in the least dramatic poll in this series, Justin Turner took 95% of the votes to be the third baseman for the 2010s Dodgers. It will be interesting to see if that stays as highest percentage for any poll at least for the rest of the position player spots.
You can find the prior four stories linked at the bottom of this article.
Each article contains a poll where True Blue LA readers will get to vote for their choice.
As a reminder, the qualifications to make this ballot for a position player is a minimum 100 games played at that position.
There were seven players appeared in at least 100 games from 2010-2019 at shortstop and here they are in order of games played there:
- Corey Seager joined the Dodgers in September 2015 and played his way onto the playoff roster that season. Seager won National League Rookie of the Year in 2016 and he finished third in that season’s MVP balloting. Seager is a two-time All-Star and has also twice won the NL Silver Slugger at shortstop. He has played 471 games at shortstop since 2015.
- Hanley Ramírez was one of the first major acquisitions after Guggenheim purchased the Dodgers in 2012. Ramírez played 248 games at shortstop from 2012 through 2014. Ramírez also finished 8th in the NL 2013 MVP voting.
- Dee Gordon was primarily a shortstop in the Dodger minor league system and when he first came up to the Dodgers in 2011, he played shortstop. Overall, Gordon played 160 games at shortstop for the Dodgers from 2011 through 2013.
- Chris Taylor has played all over the field since being acquired in 2016. He has played 139 games at shortstop from 2016 to the present.
- Jamey Carroll played 135 games at shortstop for the Dodgers from 2010 to 2011.
- Jimmy Rollins was a great player for the Philadelphia Phillies and he was one of the first players Andrew Friedman acquired via trade in December 2014. Rollins played 134 games at shortstop in 2015 for the Dodgers.
- Rafael Furcal was a very good free-agent signing by Ned Colletti prior to the 2006 season and in he played with the Dodgers until being traded to the Cardinals in 2011. He would later win a World Series with St. Louis that season. Furcal did not play as well in the 2010s as he did in his first four seasons with the Dodgers. Furcal played 129 games at shortstop from 2010 through 2011.
Four other players played at least 50 games at shortstop for the Dodgers from 2010 to 2019. Kiké Hernández has played 75 total games from 2015 to the present for the Dodgers. Miguel Rojas played 66 games at shortstop in 2014 for the Dodgers. The major trade acquisition in 2018, Manny Machado, was the Dodger shortstop in 51 games. Justin Sellers played a total of 50 games at shortstop from 2011 to 2013 for the Dodgers.
The statistics that are in the table below are their totals for the Dodgers from 2010-2019. and contain games where they played other positions.
Dodgers of the Decade: Shortstop
Please vote here:
Who plays Shortstop for the Dodgers of the Decade team?
This poll is closed
(Note: the poll will not appear on mobile devices)