On Tuesday the Los Angeles Dodgers announced their 2020 managers and coaching staffs for all of their minor league affiliates. Many familiar names return, although some are in new positions.
Dodgers minor league coaching news: Travis Barbary (OKC), Scott Hennessey (Tulsa), Austin Chubb (RC), John Shoemaker (Great Lakes), Jair Fernandez (AZL), Danny Dorn (AZL) & Fumi Ishabashi (DSL) all return. Anthony Cappuccilli (Ogden) & Cordell Hipolito (DSL) are new managers.— Dodger Insider (@DodgerInsider) January 29, 2020
John Shoemaker returns to Great Lakes to manger his third straight year there, his 44th season in the Dodgers organization. If you haven’t read Eric Stephen’s fine profile on Shoemaker, you should do so now.
Below is a summary list of the each team’s coaching staffs. The team name links to an article on their website, where one exists. Please read them for interesting details on each of their members.
Oklahoma City Dodgers (AAA)
- Travis Barbary, Manager
- Bill Simas, Pitching Coach
- Emmanuel Burriss, Hitting Coach
- Mark Kertenian, Bench Coach
- Justin De Fratus, Bullpen Coach
Barbary is in his 26th year with the Dodgers; Kertenian managed Rancho Cucamonga last year. A former major-league pitcher, De Fratus pitched at OKC and Tulsa each of the last two seasons.
Tulsa Drillers (AA)
- Scott Hennessey, Manager
- Dave Borkowski, Pitching Coach
- Hitting Coach - Brett Pill, Hitting Coach
- Coach - Jeremy Rodriguez, Coach
Hennessy returns to the helm in Tulsa, while Rodriguez has managed at Ogden and Great Lakes in recent years.
- Austin Chubb, Manager
- Ryan Dennick, Pitching Coach
- Dustin Kelly, Hitting Coach
- Jason Bourgeois, Coach
Chubb managed at Ogden in 2019. Bourgeois once played for the Houston Astros, when they were still in the National League and not confirmed cheaters.
- John Shoemaker, Manager
- Stephanos Stroop, Pitching Coach
- Seth Conner, Hitting Coach
- Elian Herrera, Coach
This will be Shoemaker’s 27th season skippering a minor league team. Herrera played for the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2011 and 2012 as a utility man.
Ogden Raptors (Advanced Rookie)
- Anthony Cappuccilli, Manager
- Dean Stiles, Pitching Coach
- Dylan Nasiatka, Hitting Coach
- Johan Garcia, Coach
Cappuccilli debuts as a minor-league manager. Garcia played in the Dodgers minor-league organization as an infielder from 2006-2010, beginning in the Dominican Summer League.
Arizona League Dodgers (Rookie)
- Jair Fernandez / Danny Dorn, Managers
- Rob Ellis / Ramon Troncoso, Pitching Coaches
- Jarek Cunningham / Keith Beauregard / David Popkins, Hitting Coaches
- Chris Gutierrez / Pedro Montero, Coaches
Troncoso pitched in the major leagues for the Dodgers from 2008-2011.
Dominican Summer League Dodgers
- Cordell Hipolito / Fumi Ishibashi, Managers
- Andres Urbina / Roberto Giron / Hector Rodriguez, Pitching Coaches
- Sergio Mendez / Johermyn Chavez / Brady Conlan, Hitting Coaches
- Dunior Zerpa / Leury Bonilla, Coaches
Ishibashi, who played for Pierce College in Woodland Hills, enters his 10th year with the Dodgers. He played briefly as a catcher at the A+ level in 2008 and 2010 for the Inland Empire 66ers, then the Dodgers California League affiliate.