With potentially five games in five days in the National League Division Series, the Dodgers felt the need to add an extra pitcher for this round against the Padres. To that end, Dylan Floro was added to the Dodgers’ roster for the NLDS, giving them 14 pitchers and 14 position players active for the series.
Manager Dave Roberts said Sunday and Monday the club was discussing whether to keep a third catcher in Keibert Ruiz or speedster and outfielder Terrance Gore, both of whom were active against Milwaukee.
Ruiz was the casualty in this one, leaving the Dodgers with Will Smith and Austin Barnes as catchers for this series against the Padres.
The Dodgers also made a bit of an unexpected move, adding Gavin Lux but dropping Edwin Ríos. I’m sure that will be a major topic this afternoon during pregame press conferences.
Floro was one of the Dodgers’ best relief pitchers this season, posting a 2.59 ERA and 2.66 FIP in 25 appearances, third-most on the team, to go with 19 strikeouts and four walks.
Last week Roberts said leaving Floro off the wild card series roster was a difficult decision. “I sit here and talk about ‘performance matters,’ but in this case, ultimately he performed and he still doesn’t have that opportunity,” Roberts said.
With the wild card series only a best-of-3, the Dodgers had at least two starting pitchers they could use in relief, lessening a potential burden on the bullpen. But now with potentially five games in five days in the NLDS, all five starters will be needed, necessitating an extra arm in the bullpen.
In three games against the Padres this season, Floro pitched 2⅔ scoreless innings, allowing two hits while striking out two.
Game 1 of the NLDS starts at 6:38 p.m. PT at Globe Life Field in Arlington, and will be televised by FS1.
Dodgers NLDS roster
- Pitchers (14): Walker Buehler, Clayton Kershaw, Tony Gonsolin, Dustin May, Julio Urías, Kenley Jansen, Blake Treinen, Pedro Báez, Jake McGee, Joe Kelly, Brusdar Graterol, Victor González, Adam Kolarek, Dylan Floro
- Catchers (2): Will Smith, Austin Barnes
- Infielders (5): Max Muncy, Corey Seager, Justin Turner, Matt Beaty, Gavin Lux
- Outfielders (4): Mookie Betts, A.J. Pollock, Joc Pederson, Terrance Gore
- Infielders/outfielders (3): Cody Bellinger, Chris Taylor, Kiké Hernández