Prior to the Mookie Betts trade, Blake Treinen signing with the Dodgers was arguably the biggest move of the offseason for the team. On Saturday, he’ll finally make his Cactus League debut.
Blake Treinen is scheduled to pitch in his first Cactus League game for the Dodgers tomorrow.— Ken Gurnick (@kengurnick) March 6, 2020
Treinen, 31, was signed to a one-year contract this offseason. Coming off a forgetful 2019 season, the right-hander will look to re-capture his historic 2018 campaign. Just two seasons ago, the case could be made that Treinen was the best relief pitcher in baseball.
In 2018, he finished with a 0.78 ERA, 1.82 FIP, 0.834 WHIP, 531 ERA+ and 4.76 SO/BB. He also had 38 saves. 2019 was a different story, as he had career-worsts all across the board.
If both him and Kenley Jansen can return to their old forms, the eighth/ninth inning combo of those two could be the most un-hittable bullpen duo in baseball.
- Mookie Betts was scratched from today’s lineup due to an upset stomach
- Joc Pederson was cleared for a regular workout and is scheduled to play in a Minor League game on Sunday. He’s expected to play five innings and get a few at-bats
- Dustin May is now playing catch
- Chris Taylor has been taking batting practice, but there’s no timetable as to when he’ll be in the lineup. Was hit by a pitch last week
- Jimmy Nelson threw off flat ground Friday and will throw off a mound Sunday
The Dodgers continued to trim their roster, as they optioned RHP Mitchell White and LHP Victor González to Minor League camp. There are 58 remaining players in camp (28 pitchers, 30 position players).
Both White and González are on the 40-man roster.
White, 25, appeared in three games this spring with LA. In three innings, he allowed two runs on three hits, while striking out two walking one. González, 24, appeared in two games this spring. He allowed one run in three innings, while striking out three and issuing one walk.
First pitch: 5:05 p.m. PT
TV: SportsNet LA, MLB Network (out of market only)
Radio: AM 570 LA Sports