In a truncated season during a pandemic, in which MLB schedules are restricted to their own regions (west plays west, east plays east, etc.) to help reduce the chances of spreading or infection, interleague play still for some reason consists of two four-game matchups between teams that are split between two cities.
The Dodgers’ other two-and-two interleague opponent is the Astros, a team they already played twice in Houston and host again Sept. 12-13 at Dodger Stadium. The league would have been better off having these matchups consist of four games in one city, rather than having each team make two unnecessary trips.
|CF||Bellinger (L)||3B||Seager (L)|
“You would obviously think that cutting down the travel makes more sense, but there’s some logic behind it,” manager Dave Roberts said on a conference call. “In these times certainly I think either club would have been fine with playing four at their respective cities.”
- Keibert Ruiz is behind the plate for his second major league start, against Mariners right-hander Taijuan Walker.
- Victor Gonzalez said he’s been pitching every five or six days at the alternate training site, usually two or three innings per outing, so expect him in a long relief role.
- After his three-inning simulated game Tuesday in LA, Alex Wood will next pitch four simulated innings on Monday.
- For this brief two-game road trip, the Dodgers brought Zach McKinstry, Rocky Gale, and Josh Sborz as their taxi squad.
- The Dodgers at some point planned to move their alternate training site from USC to Rancho Cucamonga once college students started arriving on campus, but with USC now nearly entirely online instruction for the fall semester, the Dodgers plan to stay at the campus for the remainder of the season.
Seattle’s slew of roster moves
After playing with a two-man bench on Tuesday, the Mariners called up outfielder Braden Bishop and utility man Sam Haggerty before Wednesday’s game. Both are in the lineup tonight. Seattle optioned pitcher Art Warren and designated first baseman/designated hitter Daniel Vogelbach for assignment.
Time: 6:40 p.m. PT
TV: SportsNet LA