News and notes
- After exiting the game early with a wrist injury yesterday, Max Muncy is in the lineup today and playing second base. Dave Roberts said that the injury won’t be an issue.
- Corey Seager is having himself a career year. That’s saying a lot, considering he was Rookie of the Year and a top three finisher in MVP voting. “The consistency both offensively and defensively,” Roberts said what has impressed him with Seager. “That goes hand and hand with being healthy. Corey has been open to adjusting his workload. The performance speaks for itself. He’s one of the elite shortstops in the game.”
- Chris Taylor has been one of the biggest surprises for the team this season. According to Roberts, he’ll likely be the primary second baseman in the playoffs. “He is going to get a lot of playing time,” Roberts said. “I can see him in there every day. With Gavin [Lux], I don’t see him making starts at second in the postseason. We have different options. Kiké [Hernandez] is in the mix, he’s right there too.”
- When asked if this has been a letdown of a season from Lux, Roberts was quick to say not at all. “This season is very unique to everyone,” he said. “I don’t think it’s fair to the player to classify it as a lost or a wasted season.”
- It’s been an up-and-down couple of weeks for Joc Pederson. He’s been back-and-forth from the team, for personal reasons. With only a few games left, Roberts is trying to get him as many at bats as possible. With Pederson’s great history in October, the Dodgers would love for him to get his beat heating up and into the lineup.
“I think that Joc has earned that,” Roberts said. “Because of his performance in the postseason, he’s had some things he’s dealt with that occupy his mind. I want to give him every opportunity to get him locked in. After tomorrow we’ll make a decision.”
- Julio Urias threw an aggressive bullpen today. He’s lined up for whatever the Dodgers need, whether that’s coming out of the bullpen as soon as Game 1.
- When asked about the current catching situation, Roberts said this is the most confident the team has been with their catchers entering October.
“Both of our guys are playing really good baseball leading up to it,” Roberts said. “I have confidence in both those guys on both sides of the baseball.”
Roberts said there’s a chance they might carry a third catcher in the playoffs, with it likely being Keibert Ruiz.